LegacyGT.com

Driving on spare donut

I had my front right tire split along the sidewall all around tonight as I was driving back from Tahoe. Kind of weird, no blowout, just slowly started losing air. Pulled over and put the spare. Now that I get home and search, I see that people are stating that the manual says to rotate a good tire to the front and put the spare on the back. I can't find that anywhere in my manual.

Bottom line is, I drove 140 miles back to school. I stopped at the nearest gas station and inflated the spare to the recommended 60 psi. I haven't gone out and measured yet, but I'm hoping the taller sidewall on the spare compensates and didn't put too much wear on my center diff.

What do you guys think? Should I expect premature wear on the center diff?

edit: F***, I just found it in the manual, rotate the rear to the front.

I had my front right tire split along the sidewall all around tonight as I was driving back from Tahoe. Kind of weird, no blowout, just slowly started losing air. Pulled over and put the spare. Now that I get home and search, I see that people are stating that the manual says to rotate a good tire to the front and put the spare on the back. I can't find that anywhere in my manual.

Bottom line is, I drove 140 miles back to school. I stopped at the nearest gas station and inflated the spare to the recommended 60 psi. I haven't gone out and measured yet, but I'm hoping the taller sidewall on the spare compensates and didn't put too much wear on my center diff.

What do you guys think? Should I expect premature wear on the center diff?

edit: F***, I just found it in the manual, rotate the rear to the front.

Some people on here will tell you that's just to get better car control (the front wheels do the steering.) As for it being the only reason or not, I'm not sure.

Well, went and got 4 new tires today. 600 OTD, wtf expensive. I now have 3 full size spares. Better go find some rims to put them on.

So far, no odd noises coming from the powertrain, and everything drives alright so far. Hope it stays that way.

Well, went and got 4 new tires today. 600 OTD, wtf expensive. I now have 3 full size spares. Better go find some rims to put them on.

I think I too should replace the donut with a full size spare and then use spare tire during rotation. That way, if one only tire needs to be replaced, I don't have to buy four new tires. Of course, if two tires have to be replaced, then its a different matter.

Archived