LegacyGT.com

2008 2.5i Ltd - bad dash rattle when cold

82DMC12

Hi, My 2008 Legacy Ltd has a pretty bad rattle on the passenger side of the dash when it is very cold out, such as below around 10 deg F. Once the interior warms up, it seems to go away. It sounds like it is coming from the glovebox area. However, the sound does not go away when I empty the box and leave the lid open - but it is a little louder. I don't like asking dealers to take dashes apart and make a mess looking for trivial things like this. Has anyone else had this problem and have a solution? There is also a rattle coming from around the auto trans shifter or the cup holder area. Andy

There's a thought that the rattle comes from where the dash / glove box assembly attach's to the car body on the right. Others have found that a rubber bumper / washer inserted in the bolt to the left where it attach's to the frame works. The weird thing is that it affects quite a few but, not all cars and, crosses over model years.

With me my rattles come from the mirrors inside the sunvisior. IDK why LOL. But the passenger side tends to rapple a bit when it's cold for no reason. No big deal though. Just an excuse to turn the radio louder!

There's a thought that the rattle comes from where the dash / glove box assembly attach's to the car body on the right. Others have found that a rubber bumper / washer inserted in the bolt to the left where it attach's to the frame works. The weird thing is that it affects quite a few but, not all cars and, crosses over model years.

I now think at least one rattle is related to the glove box door or latch. It rattles whether the door is closed or open, however it does not seem to rattle when I hold the handle. There is a slight amount of play both in the handle and in the box door when it closed. To eliminate the door, is there a way to make it latch closer to the dash, or would that make the problem worse? Anyone know anything about the latch, if that is a problem? Thanks, Andy

Archived