LegacyGT.com

Cold Shifting Issues?

Well the other day I was leaving work and it was bitterly cold. Temperature outside was -14*F at the time and the windchill was about -38*F. Now after warming up the car for about 10 minutes, I drove off. I put the car in the "sport shift" mode and was shifting away. Once I was in fourth gear, I was unable to shift into 5th. No arrow was above the 4 telling me I was able to shift up. I was going a solid 45-50 MPH and nothing. Finally I decided to put it back in automatic mode and drive it for a bit. Once I approached my house I put it back into "sport shift" mode and the 5 finally came on. Is this an issue with my transmission or was it a simple reasoning that it happened because of the low temperatures?

Thanks, Mo

Yeah it's an Automatic! LOL

No honest, we had a Civic EX that would do the same thing. It did not like the cold below 20 F Woud run long between 3rd and 4th. When it heated up a bit it got better. I think my car in the cold is great for shifts. Nice and crisp. But I really havent had any probs with any manual I have ever owned.

I just would not run it hard for the first few miles. Let the trans heat up, and then put it in S mode.

It was the low temps. Many people are reporting this with the very cold weather. It seems like it's a built in safety/longevity feature.

We get weather that is colder than that up here.

I've encountered this with other auto. transmission vehicles in the past. After everything warms up properly it will shift.

Depends on which way you face your car to the wind. "Wind+cold" pulls heat out of an engine/battery, just like your skin, more than just "cold".

A night in -25 is still -25 to the car regardless of if it's windy or not.

The windchill factor is about heat evaporation from a constant temperature body like the human body.

If you have your car on a heater to keep the temperature up all night then the windchill factor becomes important.

453747.png

If you have your car parked long enough to completely cool off yes, wind chill wont make it any colder than the actual outside temp.. But if you only have you car parked for a couple hours after driving it, then it will get colder, faster; when its windy than it would if it was just cold and calm.

Archived