LegacyGT.com

Car unhappy in the cold at startup?

Started the Subie yesterday at -30 degrees celsius, she whined a little but was ok seconds later. A little warm up time and no after affects. It's to be expected any car in super cold temperatures will be a little temperamental, I would be!!!!!!

I started my car today, 8 degrees celcius. it was whining for a split second once you start the car; sounded like a missed gearing, like when you release the clutch too early and not being able to put it in gear; ggrrrr... sound. :(

when I step on the gas, I also heard a not so smooth engine rev. kind of like a static in the engine; Tiny ice getting crushed sound.

slushies anyone?

It's been minus 20 celsius (that's like -4 F) in the mornings here for the past few days, and the car is a bit cranky (ha!) at first, making a very small noise on startup. Living in Alberta for several years, I learned how to find the pour point of major fluids and how much of a difference high quality lubricants make, especially on cold startup (when your engine experiences the most wear). An ester based motor oil has small molecules that are the same size with very strong bonds so you get great pour points with fewer additives, and great high temperature, high shear ratings for the best of both worlds. Other than the expense, which can be offset by longer drain intervals, there's no downside.

For transmission fluid, your local rally shop can probably 'brew' something up that'll be better under all conditions too. Most of them have their own 'coctail'.

At least the days are getting longer...

It was -42 a couple of mornings back. Turned the ignition, a few hesitant groans, then it kicked in, whining and complaining, sounding like it was on it's death bed. The trick then is to leave it for 5-10 minutes until belts are warm, oil can heat up and circulate, etc. Not good for the environment, but good for the car. Shift will be sticky at first, but a good highway drive warms it up fast. I did find several frozen engine parts (rods and stuff) on the ground afterwards, but they didn't seem to be needed.

• 10 months later...

As was said yes you can get a block heater for your Suby, I would assume if you bought in a northern state they would come with the car as all the ones sold in Canada come stock with them.

I have noticed that as soon as it hits about -25C the engine runs differently, fuel ecomony is the pits and the front suspension becomes non-existant.

What confuses me is that as I have become aware from this site that the Spec B was built by the Gods why would they have overlooked cold weather performance?!?:p

Sorry to drag this thread up but what is that whine sound that happens for just a few seconds after startup in the extreme cold? Does anybody know what causes it? Just curious.

Not sure exactly what it is, but my '05 has always done it in the cold. My guess is a fluid (oil to the turbo maybe, power steering fluid) getting pumped through the cold engine. I give it a min. before I shift into gear to let everyting get moving. That's one nice thing about putting a remote starter on, I will start the car as I am walking out the door. I hate to think what people do to their vehicles when they take off as soon as they start them.

We just had a foot of snow in Chelsea, but not cold. Got out of the driveway like a dream. Going into second winter with an '09 Spec B, haven't had starter issues or heard noises yet. Keeping it in an unheated garage, at least don't have to shovel off the snow. It's stiff at first, but once it warms up it's fine. Of course, after three years it may turn into a different beast :-)

Sorry to drag this thread up but what is that whine sound that happens for just a few seconds after startup in the extreme cold? Does anybody know what causes it? Just curious.

I have a 09 WRX that does the same thing, I have read a few places that it is a fan that blows air into the exhaust to help the cats light up to reduce emissions. My car makes this sound for about 15 seconds when its really cold (-33c).

So can we add a plug in to heat up the engine block?

Anyone do this to our rides, here?

you can get block heaters, that what we do up here in north dakota when it gets below zero. but usually i wont plug mine in unless it gets below -20F or worse (i've seen -45F ambient here).

funny thing at -45F, friend tried to push in his clutch and ended pushing the pedal assembly through the floorboard/firewall, but it was an old ford/chevy jimmy/blazer or something small suv.

you should try moving a clutch pedal thru that cold fluid and see how far you get. nothing moves or engages/disengages, even e-brakes lock up.

• 1 year later...

I also have the whine problem that seems completely rpm dependent. I can't pinpoint it either but my best guess would be from either the alt./ps pump/ac clutch.

Despite what some "experts" might say about idling, i still let it idle 5-10 mins when its running rough due to the cold. The midget under the hood gets pretty pissed off if I wake him up at -34C... It's been about 3 times a week for the last month or so.

Best option is a recirculation heater. It'll heat and pump your coolant around. Plus, there readily available in the 1000w variety whereas the frost plugs are usually 400w I believe

I imagine it would be no different than my 97. You'll have to remove the plastic under cover and remove one of the coolant drain plugs and replace it with the frost plug. On my 97 the factory location was on the drivers side and closer to the front on the car, look around the pan on either side and you should see them. I've never had to remove one yet, but it should be either a torx or hex key. Maybe someone could chime in with the exact shape and size.

NOTE: you will lose alot of coolant when you pull that plug, so have plenty of coolant on hand (our cars need a special formula, can't remember exactly what its called but it's on here somewhere)

Honestly this really is your cars best friend, up here anyways

http://m.canadiantire.ca/mt/www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/VehicleAccessories/WinterAutomotive/PRD~0303294P/ZeroStart%252BTank%25252BCirculation%252BEngine%252BHeater.jsp?locale=en

Sorry if it the link might not work for you, mobile link as I'm on my iPod. Google Zerostart circulation heater, or other brand, if it doesn't work.

Rather than heating one spot in the motor it evenly distributes the heat. Maybe I'm just looking into this too much and the heat will leach into the motor enough anyways, but the metal parts expanding at different rates(especially if you have the frost plug on a timer for a few hours before you need to get to work) kinda worries me

Archived