LegacyGT.com

Thanks Subaru but I dont fit in the new Legacy

SteVTEC, Please report back when you get a chance to sit in one, I'm getting worried about this, I'm 6'3'' - 210 lbs. I would go to my local dealer but they don't have them in yet. Thx.

Damn, I forgot today. Checked my local dealer and they have a bunch of 05's. I have a bunch of running around to do tomorrow so I'll try to remember to stop by. My problem is that I'm a very wide-bodied (large frame) person, so it's not just my height but my width also. And my legs are huge too. Generally if a car has a larger mid-console and no telescoping wheel, I'll have trouble fitting. Example: 95-99 Maxima vs 00-03 Maxima. I can't fit in the 00-03's due to much larger mid-console and no telescoping wheel. But I fit great in my 99 with the smaller console and still no telescoping wheel. 04+ Maximas I fit great in again - telescoping wheel. Sometimes even power vs non-power seats can make a difference. I fit okay in my dad's 98 Camry with manual seats but am extremely cramped in my mom's 00 Camry with power seats. WTH...lol. Sometimes an inch or two makes all the difference I guess. I'll try to sit in both standard and limited versions of the leg. I'll reply back afterwards. Take whatever I say like a grain of salt though. I have very odd proportions so even if you're bigger/taller, or similarly sized to me, that doesn't mean you will/won't fit also. I'll probably forget tomorrow, too. lol

I sat in a '05 Bean and was brushing the roof with my head, enough so that it won't work. I think the 38.5" of headroom w/ the sunroof is optimistic. I had loads of headroom in a base Outback, so the sunroof is the culprit. In the back I could sit relatively comfortably with my legs splayed a bit, with the front set to me. A little better than the '04 Legacy. The dealer said they install leather themselves, meaning they learned a new trade as a result of the Forrester Manual/Leather conundrum. If the wife insists on the sunroof then I might consider taking a little cushioning out of the seat, ala tricks of the tall guys who drive Miatas handbook. I did not like the seats in either Outback, and am anxiously awaiting the XT or GT. Maybe even hope that the Sport Seats offer a smidge more headroom-Dare to Dream.

[quote name='SteVTEC']Damn, I forgot today. Checked my local dealer and they have a bunch of 05's. I have a bunch of running around to do tomorrow so I'll try to remember to stop by. My problem is that I'm a very wide-bodied (large frame) person, so it's not just my height but my width also. And my legs are huge too. Generally if a car has a larger mid-console and no telescoping wheel, I'll have trouble fitting. Example: 95-99 Maxima vs 00-03 Maxima. I can't fit in the 00-03's due to much larger mid-console and no telescoping wheel. But I fit great in my 99 with the smaller console and still no telescoping wheel. 04+ Maximas I fit great in again - telescoping wheel. Sometimes even power vs non-power seats can make a difference. I fit okay in my dad's 98 Camry with manual seats but am extremely cramped in my mom's 00 Camry with power seats. WTH...lol. Sometimes an inch or two makes all the difference I guess. I'll try to sit in both standard and limited versions of the leg. I'll reply back afterwards. Take whatever I say like a grain of salt though. I have very odd proportions so even if you're bigger/taller, or similarly sized to me, that doesn't mean you will/won't fit also. I'll probably forget tomorrow, too. lol[/quote]Okay I actually remembered, LOL. :D I sat in a 2.5i Wagon 5MT and a 3.0R. The 2.5i wagon had cloth seats (base?) but had a full power seat setup. The 3.0R was leather and damn that wood (walnut?) trim was really friggin nice! That is one classy interior! It had full power seats too. Yep, the center stack is quite wide, and the mid-console seems taller than normal also. Again, I'm 6'3" and 230lbs and have a pretty wide/large frame. So, what happens is that the wider center stack sorta cramps me for room width wise and that forces my huge legs into a more upright than normal position. With the wheel all the way up, and the seat all the way back and down, I have only an inch or two of clearance between where my leg and the lower right corner of the wheel. So my leg is pinned up against the wide center stack and there's just 1-2 inches of room between the upper left side of my *right* leg and the wheel. I can just baaarely steer with my right arm resting on my right leg and holding the wheel at about the 4:30 position. This is a little bit better than the 00-03 Nissan Maximas for me. On those cars there is *ZERO* clearance between my leg and the wheel and I can't even really drive one of those comfortably. The Legacy is a tiny little bit better. I guess I could probably get one if I wanted to and just get used to it, but there's not much wiggle room at all. As on the Maxima, a telescoping wheel would clear out some space and completely solve the problem, but neither of these cars are equipped with telescoping wheels. :( My current 99 Maxima doesn't have a telescoping wheel either, but the center console is shorter, and the center stack is most definitely narrower noticeably compared to the Legacy, so that gives my tall legs the room I need in the foot well to spread out a bit and give me plenty of clearance between my right leg and the wheel. I have plenty of room in that car. Overall the Legacy did feel a bit smaller and perhaps a bit cramped for me. Even with the seat all the way back I didn't have a whole lot of leg room. In my 99 Max on longer trips I can stretch out and almost get my leg straight while propping myself up in my seat. No chance of doing that in the Legacy. For my size and proportions, my 99 Maxima is a YES, the 00-03 Maximas are a NO, and the 05 Legacy I'd say is a "MAYBE" at best. It's very marginal on space for me. I think I had more overall room in the 02 WRX. Strange. Of course there's ZERO backseat in that thing with me driving. The back didn't seem all the big in the Legacy either, but I didn't actually try it out - just looked. I don't fit in backseats anyways, hahaha. Bigger than the WRX definitely in the back, but not that much. My 99 Max seems bigger back there too. So, the best I can say is that the 05 Legacy is very marginal on space for me. 6'3", 230lbs, wide body, large frame, 38 waist, 34 inseam, long rise "classic" fit pants, medium or large "TALL" shirts, etc. Honestly, I just didn't feel very comfortable in the car. I'd prefer something that gave me a little more wiggle room. :( That's the bad news. The good news is that I still have enough room (barely) if I really really really really wanted one. :) Steve

well, I have your frame and I really really really want one :D Actually that kinda sucks, but I never get too "comfy" in a car because I preffer a stout driving position. I think it will be fine but maybe I should go sit in one tomorrow.

Thanks for the write-up steVTEC. Looks like I'll be okay, same height as you but with a medium/large frame and 34'' waist. My '03 WRX fits like a glove, the bolstering in the seats is perfect for my size so I guess the Leg will be a step backwards in this respect.

I sat in a base OB today in the show room, wasn't too impressed with the seat, but I'd imagine part of that was due to the fact it had power seats (not movable like manual seat when car off = SUCK), and it was positioned fairly straight up, but I wasn't impressed with the 2.5i's bolstering, indeed I hope the new GT has enough bolstering or I'll have to get something figured out. One issue I noticed with where the seat was placed, the E-brake handle was just barely touching my leg. I'd almost rather have those cup holders next to me (they don't get used too often anyhow.) Will be interesting to see what modifications they make to '06s.

Sube, the GT will get seats with more bolstering. Interestingly, with the people who already have GTs, nobody has groused about the seats, which I view to be a good sign. Kevin

I sat in the OB XT, but I probably wasn't as comfortable with it since I couldn't tailor it to my specific position (damn auto seats- I let the Subaru rep at the Chitown show know that too ;)) besides, it was leather too. :lol: I'll write it off. I'm sure I can find a comfortable position. Wonder if you can get those seat heaters swapped into a set of nice Sparcos or similar?

Sat in the 2.5i wagon and LL Bean Outback last night, I can fit in both but only just, I have 1 inch of spare headroom with the seat all the way down in both cars. What I really find annoying though is that the visor is right in front of my forehead and in my peripheral vision big time, I don’t like the way they slope the roof line down where the windshield should be on newly designed cars. Drivers Seat was 1 click from the back. The WRX has a more comfortable driving position and is better suited to taller/bigger people, I have 3 inches of spare headroom and the seat is 2 or 3 clicks from the back.

Archived