LegacyGT.com

Overboost during BC settling time: how much is acceptable?

lepich

The reason I ask is that my car overboosts as well. My boost target is 22.5 psi (on a TD06-20G), and I will hit a shade over 23.5psi before my car settles at my boost target.

I tuned my car myself and there is no knock at all in any of my logs. I'm running very strong timing with meth and good gas with this boost target. Also my boost does not drop below my target after overboost. I personally don't feel my overboost is a problem at all, and I'm not worried about tuning it out.

If your car can handle 23.5 psi, why not use 23.5 psi as your boost target?

The point you're making is what I was alluding to with my earlier question. If your boost target is agressive and at the limit to begin with then over-boosting might be problematic. If you're not at that level then my thought is over-boosting is not as much of an issue as people make it out to be.

An earlier tune I had hit 24psi but would taper off to about 18psi at redline. My current tune hits 22.5 and holds to redline which I much prefer. I've never tried to hold any more than this, and would need to go back and see whether I'd have to back out a lot of timing to compensate.

Archived