LegacyGT.com

Question about JDM pinks

peteyjr

EDO is running a group buy on JDM pink springs . Considering getting them as I'm a litle tired of my Swifts as they sit a little too low for me (rides pretty damn good though). I'll be buying a set of Koni's soon as well. My question is - does anyone know the ride height difference between the pinks vs the swifts?. I doubt they run as low as the swifts. Any major difference in spring rates? Last but not least EDO has several versions including MT and AT and reg vs GTB version. What is the best one for the MT wagon? EDO's thread seams to be of little help with these questions. Thanks for any input.

Actually I was just looking through this info the other day.

Front rate: 241 (Swift) / 224 (Pink) / 196 (Stock)

Rear rate: 370 (Swift) / 336 (Pink) / 308 (Stock)

Front drop: -1.2 (Swift) / -0.59 (Pink)

Rear drop: -1.0 (Swift) / -0.59 (Pink)

Note: The Pinks info here is for the sedan, MT as well I believe. The wagon should be a little stiffer in the rear.

I got a ride in an 06 Spec. B with stock Bilsteins, Pinks, Whiteline roll center kit, and Cobb sways. Talk about amazing handling and great ride quality.

I'm a little worried about the Swift ride quality with the bigger drop and stiffer springs myself. I'm torn between the Swifts & Pinks.

Keep in mind that the Pinks are designed to work with the Bilsteins and their top hat configuration. The Koni inserts are essentially the same set up as the stock KYB struts so you will see a larger drop on the Pinks with the Koni's than with the Bilsteins, especially in the front.

Cheers!

Thanks for clearing that up , makes sense.

Ride quality isn't all that bad on the swifts . Then again I'm currently running the stock struts and are on their way out. With an adjustable like Koni you can dial in comfort for everyday driving and dial it up for autocross or track events. I used to never hit with the stock stuts but now my front tires (which are a bit larger than usual at 225/45/18) rub on the fender on gas station ramps . Maybe the Koni's will damp well enough to rid of this pesky problem .

Can those Spec B owners with Swifts or Pinks comment on the pitch/squat vs stock? When I do an aggressive launch and am rowing through the gears, I feel like I'm gonna get seasick in mine d-: Hoping the these springs remedy that...

^^

It should. I rode in a stock-power Spec. B with Pinks & stock Bilsterons + Cobb sways and there was very little chassis movement under power or in turns. A Stage 2 will have more squat due to the added power, but it will be as controlled as it can get.

You can always upgrade to Bilstein HD's if the Pinks/Swifts don't add enough chassis control.

I have USDM SpecB T/O Bilsteins & Top Hats, and new Swift Wagon Springs. Ride is firm to harsh, drop is about 1.25" - 1.5" all the way around. Car looks good and handles well with almost zero squat and no dive compared to the stock struts/spring setup. Because the drop was much more than I was expecting, I also upgraded the ball joints/tie rod ends to the WL RCK and added the AVO LCA offset bushing at the same time. I upgraded to the rear JDM 20mm bar w/AVO F/R SB endlinks and bushings as well.

Car handles exceptionally well, and it drags way less (forward and aft) then it did on the stock suspension. One recommendation to anyone going with Swifts (or any performance lowering springs) and the Bilstein struts. Cut the bumpstop in the front strut in half or you'll be bottoming out all of the time as the lowering springs reduce the Bilstein's effective stroke length. This will reduce the Honda "bounce" that occurs when you don't cut the bumpstop down. See ProjectS15's hot-to thread for more info.

I'm still debating whether I'm going to change out the Swifts for the GT-B Wagon 5MT Pinks. I like the Swifts handling and that it tightly controls the squat and all but eliminates dive, but there are times when the ride is just too "taut". I will say that the Bilstein and Swifts makes for an excellent cruising setup though.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Good post Subietonic. I feel the same about the swifts. Very controlled handling but a tad bouncy/harsh. Cutting the bumpstop in half would only apply to the Bilsteins correct (due to the taller JDM tophats).

Good post Subietonic. I feel the same about the swifts. Very controlled handling but a tad bouncy/harsh. Cutting the bumpstop in half would only apply to the Bilsteins correct (due to the taller JDM tophats).

With a performance spring drop (1.5" on mine, more with some springs), you effectively reduce the stroke travel on your struts. Think of it as decreasing the compression length of your strut rod. That means that you're almost immediately on the bump stop with any bump in the road.

That means that you'll hit the bump stop and that forces the front to "bounce up" when the strut should just absorb it. If it had the additional travel before hitting the bump stop, then the incidence of "bounce" would be reduced. Since the Bilstein bump stops are internal, you don't tend to think about this. But if you're running stock struts (or stock-like struts, i.e. Tokiko, others), then cut the external bump stop in half too, for the same reason.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived