LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy GT wagon brake warping

I had the exact same problem with my 05 lgt wagon. When braking at 60+ mph, I would get a pretty solid vibration through the wheel. Last night I went out and did 10 stops from 60-10 then let them cool and did 10 more, now the are fine. The pedal is a little softer, so I think it might be time to bleed the fluid.

I had the exact same problem with my 05 lgt wagon. When braking at 60+ mph, I would get a pretty solid vibration through the wheel. Last night I went out and did 10 stops from 60-10 then let them cool and did 10 more, now the are fine. The pedal is a little softer, so I think it might be time to bleed the fluid.

Check the calipers too - mine was soft before they were fixed and a lot better after they had fixed the discs and calipers.

It may save you the cost of a pair of new discs in the long run. If I only had known it when I bought the car I could have saved the discs...

453747.png

My calipers are floating calipers, and they stopped the floating action, which means that they only asserted pressure on one side of the disc.

So the pins that they float on has to be properly lubricated with heat-resistant grease. If they corrode they won't work as they should.

It may be different types of calipers depending on model, mine is a 2.0 NA.

453747.png

My calipers are floating calipers, and they stopped the floating action, which means that they only asserted pressure on one side of the disc.

So the pins that they float on has to be properly lubricated with heat-resistant grease. If they corrode they won't work as they should.

It may be different types of calipers depending on model, mine is a 2.0 NA.

Lubrication of those sliding pins is sooo easy to neglect when performing brake maintenance, such as pad or fluid replacement. Even when you check their action and find it ok you should still take them apart, clean them, and reapply the special grease. Every time. You would be surprised at what the factory can negled to do. But as ehsnils can tell you, neglecting this simple point can cost FAR more than the effort to prevent. It is very simple to do, but so easy to neglect.... out of sight, out of mind.

Mine would vibrate at all times when braking, i tried rebeding and it was still just as apparent. No vibratiosn at all with my new rotors and pads and then grip alot better

Bleeding will have no real effect on things, except to take out the 'slack' of any air in the system. This will help normalize the pressure at each caliper, but not much else. Sure they gripped better, you removed the two glazed surfaces and your coefficient of friction came back to where it should be. Remember, the glaze isn't just deposited on the rotor's surface, but on the pad's surface as well.

Archived