LegacyGT.com

Trunk Release

Just wondering if all gen Legacy's had a locking trunk release from the interior cabin? I like the idea of the latch lock inside the trunk(like the WRX)over the key lock from the release latch. I'm not sure about the Subaru's but my Honda had a locking latch like that before which was completely useless. If you pull hard enough the lock would break and the trunk would open. I want to have the cable from the remote latch taken out but noticed that there are no keyholes on the trunk lid. Only other way to open the trunk is with the keychain which i plan on getting rid of in favour of an aftermarket alarm. Wish they kept the lock like the WRX.

I don't know for certain, but it almost feels like there isn't a cable to release the trunk. I'd be its just an electronic trigger to a relay in the trunk that does the actual opening. And if that is the case, then the lock should do its job, since there isn't a mechanical barrier to overcome.

I was going to install an alarm with a remote trunk feature but what if it runs out of batt or does not work? if i go ahead and disconnect the cable and this happens I'm locked out of my trunk.

I'll probably leave it for now and see how it is(if it's electric or not). I don't leave that much stuff in it on a regular basis but it's just peace of mind if i do.

Archived