LegacyGT.com

Tire Sizes for the Spec.B OEM Wheel

seanlsb

Good thread, I'm considering the same thing right now. Unclemat told me that 225/45/18 tires are huge, and that if i'm switching to 225s, that I should go with the 40 sidewall instead.

They are quite large, but they fill up the wheel gap quite nicely.

• 2 months later...
I did a 225/40/18 contiextreme for winter. No problems so far. Speedo is off 1.8% or so according to a tire size calculator. 225/45/18 is slightly closer in size but larger. I'd rather slightly under gear than over gear given the choice.

Under-gear gives you:

More power for acceleration

Flexible top gear performance

Over-gear gives you:

Better Economy

Lower engine noise level

Less engine wear...

There is this great book called Hillier's Fundamental of Motor Vehicle Technology.

Take your pick!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I ended up getting 225/45/18 Contiextremecontacts for my rims.... to be installed next weekend.

Pics???

I would like to see if they are REALLY huge as some other guys mentioned...

Thanks

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Just put on 225/40 on mine. Squeezed every mile out of he stock ones. Got the goodyear F1. Noticed ride is a bit more rough, but might work out better than 45s if you lower the car. On uneven pavement the rears looks like touching the fenders on stock springs.

• 7 months later...
Just put on 225/40 on mine. Squeezed every mile out of he stock ones. Got the goodyear F1. Noticed ride is a bit more rough, but might work out better than 45s if you lower the car. On uneven pavement the rears looks like touching the fenders on stock springs.

You got any pics of your 225/40 tires on your car?

I'm looking into getting new tires for mine. I'm on stock wheels and have Rallitek Springs on, so I have about a 0.9" drop front and rear. The stockers are done, I got a bump on one of them and might as well replace them all.

I have no idea what to get though. 225/40/18 gives me more options than the stock tire size, so I'm thinking of going with a tire in that size.

I don't have any complaints about the stock tires, but I would like something that is not too expensive and that will last a decent amount of time. I got about 22k out of the stockers, and that seems a reasonable number to me.

Opinions on the Kumho Ecsta SPT and the General Exclaim UHP tires? I bought two sets of the SPTs for my previous car and I was pretty happy with them. The car had stock Eagle RSAs that sucked, so I don't have much to compare with.

I'm looking into getting new tires for mine. I'm on stock wheels and have Rallitek Springs on, so I have about a 0.9" drop front and rear. The stockers are done, I got a bump on one of them and might as well replace them all.

I have no idea what to get though. 225/40/18 gives me more options than the stock tire size, so I'm thinking of going with a tire in that size.

I don't have any complaints about the stock tires, but I would like something that is not too expensive and that will last a decent amount of time. I got about 22k out of the stockers, and that seems a reasonable number to me.

Opinions on the Kumho Ecsta SPT and the General Exclaim UHP tires? I bought two sets of the SPTs for my previous car and I was pretty happy with them. The car had stock Eagle RSAs that sucked, so I don't have much to compare with.

I've got Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 235/40/18 on 18.5 inch rims and love them. My wife has the UHPs on her Impreza, and I like them as well- great tire for the price.

Good choice, I'm running 225/40/18 on my factory Spec.B wheels also. The stock tires are somewhat crappy when compared next to GOOD high performance summer tires. I wore them out in about 13K. After them I had Yokohama S.Drives for about 6,000 miles, but they were terrible. I replaced them with Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs and they are one of the best tires I have used.

• 1 month later...
It is too wide for a stock rim.

I was finally thinking about this properly and yeah it sounds like it is, it would be 2 cm wider than the stock size, that seems like too much.

I think I'm going to go with the Sumitomo HTR Z III in 225/40/18. It's a decent price and have read good things about them. Don't want to spend too much on tires right now.

The Kumho Ecsta SPT was on backorder on tirerack, but looks like it's available now from another warehouse. The set is $15 more than the Sumitomos.

Now I don't know what to decide on :lol:

Archived