LegacyGT.com

No RCA jacks on OEM radio: add a converter?

JER5EY

I had a hard time finding a budget consious sub, as our OEM radios have no RCA/line out jacks. Because of this, I was limited in the products I could use (I thought I had to use a unit that allowed line-level (speaker) input, or "dynamic" inputs). Instead, I found I should be able to use a "Adjustable Line Output Converter". This $20 item should take the left & right speaker channels and convert them to a normal signal level, and output through RCA jacks. I bought a model # AULOC from "InstallersEdge", and am installing it today with a "Fusion" 12". 600 watt "bass pack.

Anyone have any experience with adding a ALOC? I will let you know how it sounds, as I installed the same system in a buddies car last week & it sounded great without the ALOC. (He has an aftermarket Alpine w/ RCAs).

Great forum, guys - please keep up the great work & info.!

Happy New Year! :cool:

I can't get either my wire, a wire snake (pretty rigid) nor a coat hanger (thinner & more flexible) from the small grommet by the driver's left foot up to under the hood where the cable exits under the hood. I keep getting "diverted" somehow. Is there a trick? Am I doing it wrong? :confused::eek::spin:

on my car i went through where the drivers door wires go in. from the battery i went through the driver side fender to where the wires come in from the driver door by cutting a small hole in the rubber, then i went into the car pulled all the plastic on the driver side floor then ran all the wires under the carpet, reassembled it and the only place you can see the wire is if you look between the front fender and the driver door. if i wrap that part in electrical tape you would not see it.

yeah... but i dont know where that grommet is so i just cut the one for the door wires. for the rca converter i used one from walmart and tapped into the rear speakers right behind the stock radio. there should be a forum that tells you which wires they are and if you use a battery you can double check if thats correct wires. you'll hear a pop or crackel from the speakers if you have the correct two wires. also make sure you ground out the converter. it should have 5 wires, positive and negative for left and right and 1 ground. besides that my system sounds good and have not had any problems so far.

Did you have any issues getting up under the hood? I've run wires in cars & homes for 20+ years, and can't get through. Seems like the snake always turns the wrong way, like either I can't get through (wall, etc.) or I keeping hitting some sort of insulation, wire harness, etc. en route...

Friggin' frustrating (& cold, too!) LOL

Update - I finally got from the under-dash grommet to the hood by the battery. Took a second set of hands, and patience only some beer & a good night's sleep provided.

I'll post pix & suggestions tonight... thanks to anyone who replied (wengermi, issac)...

JER5EY

Archived