LegacyGT.com

93 Legacy Wagon Heater Issue and Tranny Question

Ok, so when I turn off the heater/vent/a-c controls to the wagon, I can STILL feel air coming thru even tho the button is in the OFF position. I KNOW that shouldn't happen. What could it be?

Also, my wagon is an auto tranny, and it has a black button kinda near the shifter, and have no idea what its for....doesn't have any markings of any kind on it. Also, what does the MANUAL position on the auto tranny do???

Every subaru I have ever owned has let some air through the vents, even set at off or 0.

The black button is a Shift Lock override. You can shift the car into gears without the key in the ignition or having it turned on. Push the button down with the car off and your foot on the brake, and you will see how it works.

The Manual button only works when you shift the car in 2 or 3. It is like a very primitive version of Traction Control. It cycles the car through those two gears not allowing it to go into 1st gear, keeping the torque down.

It won't work in any other gear, even though the light will illuminate if you press the button.

Even thru the floor and the top of the dash you get air coming thru? Ive never had that happen on any other vehicle I've owned.

AHHH ok, shift lock override. Gotcha! Thanks. I was soo curious about that button lol. Could not for the life of me figure out what it was lol.

As for that manual button, thanks for the info. I read about it in my owner's manual, but it wasn't real specific...so I still was wondering what it meant.

Thanks!!

Even thru the floor and the top of the dash you get air coming thru? Ive never had that happen on any other vehicle I've owned.

That is caused by the location where the air intake is - the airflow around the car pushes some air into the ventilation when driving, and if you select recirc you should get rid of it.

Most modern car designs have gone to great lengths to avoid this behavior, but it's possible that Subaru has made a compromise here to save cost or to avoid some horrible air intake design that had messed up something else.

Older cars always had that effect, and I have never been bothered by it.

453747.png

Archived