LegacyGT.com

Kenwood KOS-V500 OEM Interface with KOS-L702 Touchscreen

EJH

Does any one have any experience with the Kenwood KOS-V500 interface? How well does is work in day-to-day practice? Here is the Crutchfield link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KOSV500/Kenwood-KOS-V500.html?tp=119

I was considering installing this with the KOS-L702 monitor, and adding on other features as I can afford them. FYI - I have a 2006 LGT with climate control.

I am not looking to add a huge amp/sub or totally tweak out the system. I understand that they may be getter sounding processors out there, but my primary goal is to add ipod interface, add bluetooth, possibly add GPS (but I have always found maps work pretty well :lol:), and keep everything clean and as simple as possible.

Ideally I'd love to sit in my car, plug in my iphone, play my music and answer calls on a handsfree bluetooth system when the come in.

Thanks for any help/advice!

EJH

Why bother with this if you don't have factory Nav? (The primary reason people get this is it uses the factory NAV screen)

Just fit a double DIN stereo into the cubby, and be done with it. DNX-8120 is pretty good, and if you want external NAV, the DDX-812. (only difference is NAV, units are identical otherwise)

Double DIN Radio will do everything you want out of the box, so why go with carport?

ean611

I haven't decided what I want to do yet, and have been just exploring options. The double din fit kit I found is ridiculously expensive, and I don't have the time to figure out how to fabricate something on my own. I also liked the idea of being able to take the Kenwood with me if I'm forced to get another car. If it's a nice system it seemed like a good investment, but you are right about the cost and functions of the double din stereo....

I searched the forums, but didn't see any reviews of the Kenwood system. Does anyone have any input? Is there a cheaper double din fit kit, or something I'm missing there?

Thanks!

e

EJH.

Do you have NAV? If yes, then you have to go with expensive fabrication to fit a Single DIN or Double DIN Radio.

If you do NOT have NAV, you can fit something very cheaply. In fact, A single DIN is ridiculously easy to fit (if you don't mind a flip up screen). (Eclipse AVN7000 for instance). The Cubby above the stereo can be removed, and that as a common place to put a radio. For single DIN, you can fit it there, and get something to fil the gap. For Double DIN, you need the info-panel relocate bracket.

Either way, you should be able to build it so that it is removable, and still take the radio with you. (I speak from experince, as I'm on my second Legacy due to a drunk idiot). You just put the Cubby back in place when you get rid of the car.

ean611

I'm hoping to install a double DIN GPS/Multimedia unit (Pioneer AVIC-F700BT) in the cubby (i.e., the space where the OEM nav unit would be installed). Have I got it right that the cubby comes out, the two vents stay put, and there's enough space to install a double DIN unit relatively cleanly?

BTW, the F700BT is 7" x 4" x 6.5", which I gather is a standard double DIN size.

LGTCowboy.

The cubby comes out. There is NOT enough space to put a double DIN there with the standard vent cluster.

I forget where, but you can buy a double DIN JDM Vent cover for that area, that replaces the one you have. There are multiple members of this forum that have it.

You will also need the info panel relocation bracket, also JDM (minor non outward facing dremel mods to make it fit)

Archived