LegacyGT.com

Dedicated Winter tire for Spec B

YVRspecB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The smaller the difference, the more accurate your speedometer & odometer will be.

FWIW, I just gave my new blizzak LM-22's a good test today in Lake Tahoe, CA snowy + icy conditions. These tires are amazing. I never lost control unless I did it on purpose to test how good these tires are at recovering from sliding.

I highly recommend these or any other blizzaks, especially while they are on sale at tirerack (discontinued model).

Almost wrote off my spec B yesterday in Vancouver as the stock RE050 do NOT have any grip when stopping in snow. I've read all the threads about the all season and winter performance tires, however I've decided to go with a serious snow and ice tire because I have the original summers that work great in all seasons EXCEPT winter. I am planning on getting the OEM 17x7" wheels from the 06-07 LGT with 215/50/17 Nokian Hakkapelita R.

Has anyone used these before ? I found a few excellent european reviews that rate this tire way higher than the WRG2 and on par with the x-Ice2 and Blizzak WS-60. Why doesn't Tire-rack have any info on this tire ?

I found a local dealer with stock Kal Tire. Does $279 seem a bit excessive ?

RE050 + Snow??? Umm, dont tell your insurance company LOL.

As for winters... Nokian Hakkapelita R, best tire you can get.

I bought Michellin X-Ice because Kal was sold out of Nokian Hakkapelita R in 215/45/18 size (stock specb).

I got my X-Ice's at Costco for about $1500 tax in, but they refused to install (thereby voiding the road hazard warranty they offer) because "the tires I purchased were not the same speed rating as my factory RE050's"..

WTF!

Anyway, X-Ice - A+

but I would have been happier with the Nokian Hakkapelita R

^ Yep.

The 3D, the evolution of the M3, did better on icier surfaces, but it's still a far, far cry from the capabilities of the premium "Studless Ice & Snow" tires, when it comes to that area.

"Performance Winters" such as the M3/3D trade-off quite a bit of their capabilities in the worst of the wintry stuff for a bit of fun when the weather's clear.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Tirerack recommends 215/50R-17 as a winter size for our cars. And yeah, no rubbing. Just got some X-Ice in that size.

Can you post some pics of your car with such a large diameter rubber? Thanks.

Also what offset/width wheels are you using?

Archived