LegacyGT.com

The Official Rally Thread

KartRacerBoy

I couldn't do that. My wide would just want to tell me how to drive.

On a side note: a friend and I have started working on an obs for rally purposes. It'll have a turbo 2.2 by the end of December. :) first real rally it'll see will be the sandblast held here in sc. And we are desperately trying to organize rally cross events. We just can't find someone to sanction and insure it yet.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think that's nerve wracking? My wife will be co-driving for me for the first time in December... :spin:

Still undecided on if this is the best or worst idea I've ever had. We shall see...

:lol::eek: I had my girlfriend navigate for two days over the summer, and it went alright...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

I couldn't do that. My wide would just want to tell me how to drive.

On a side note: a friend and I have started working on an obs for rally purposes. It'll have a turbo 2.2 by the end of December. :) first real rally it'll see will be the sandblast held here in sc. And we are desperately trying to organize rally cross events. We just can't find someone to sanction and insure it yet.

I assume you've looked at SCCA? Events around here tend to either be SCCA or LOL.

:lol::eek: I had my girlfriend navigate for two days over the summer, and it went alright...

She's super, SUPER competitive and I have a natural knack for a lot of the games/activities she likes. This does not end well; often with me winning, saying absolutely nothing about it, and then hearing about how over-competitive I am for the next 4-6 weeks. The logic is: she doesn't win = everyone else is over-competitive. I assume this is a byproduct of growing up with a couple brothers near the same age.

Anywho... lately I've noticed a few games/activities where we can co-op have been going over really well. This might be one of those activities assuming she has enough aptitude for it to feel like she's doing a good job and she manages to make it through the entire event without driving me bats#&% crazy.

Edited by SurlyOldManMN

• 5 weeks later...
Anyone know about any events out here in Cali. I see a couple posts for stuff up in WA but that is a little too far. Maybe Oregon would be an option. I have always wanted to do this type of thing.

Apparently the Pacific Coast Challenge (http://pccrally.com/index.html) occasionally includes CA events. This year the closest event was the Oregon 1000, from south of Portland to Coos Bay and Albany. PCC events would be a bit of a trek for you, but they're all multi-day gravel events, so worth it in my book.

I'm sure there are single-day paved events closer to you, but I'll let SurlyOldManMN take care of that :)

Oh, and we won our class for the year! I did it by a decent margin, but my navigator just squeaked by on a tiebreaker - even points, and same number of first places, so he took first because he had more second place finishes than the other guy!

Team Pony Express

Thanks Spoonwacker!! Congrats on the win!!!

I actually have family in the Portland area so getting up there and relaxing for a day or two prior to an event isn't a big deal. A gravel event on the other hand with my brand new 2012 is probably not going to happen. But.... my wife and I are soon purchasing a 2000 to 2005 Outback for her daughters first car and we would use that. Plus, my brother-in-law in Portland has a 2003 Outback so we could make the rally a family affair with a little friendly competition. I really would like to just try this for fun.

Thanks again and I hope SurlyOldManMN comes up with something paved and in the vicinity of my hood so I can use my GT.

• 1 year later...

Here is my coverage from last weekend's kickoff to the Rally America series. Sno*Drift 2014 was cold as hell, but tons of fun!

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3373/Frozen-Beer-and-Rally-Cars-SnoDrift-2014.aspx

'03 Forester X 5mt - Engine Seized at 262k miles.

'05 LGT Wagon 6mt -MotoIQ.com Project Vehicle

'13 VW Touareg TDI - Daily Torque Monster.

What was the story with Higgins' hood popping up?

unfortunately the hood pins were not replaced properly forcing him to complete the stage with almost no forward visibility.

Nice article, Con.Harr!

Team Pony Express

Thanks Spoonwacker!

I believe Higgins was having some overheating issues, so they popped the hood to check it out in transit between stages and then forgot to replace the hood pins. They finished the stage a mere 10 seconds behind L'Estage! Pretty impressive.

'03 Forester X 5mt - Engine Seized at 262k miles.

'05 LGT Wagon 6mt -MotoIQ.com Project Vehicle

'13 VW Touareg TDI - Daily Torque Monster.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
The 100 Acre Wood organizers mentioned (at the Show-Me Rally) that they want to schedule 2016 100 Acre Wood over the 2nd or 3rd weekend in March. One reason is to try and avoid snowpocalypes like we had at the 2015 event, and the other reason is to give teams more time to refit after SnoDrift.

• 1 month later...

From the 100AW.org site -

New for 2016 is a different date, March 18-19, 2016. The rally will be moving to the middle of March, in hopes to run during better weather and in order to give more time for competitors after the SnoDrift rally in January.

One of the guys with the rally committee posted an update to his Facebook page that there are 70 entries now. :)

Weather forecast (for what it's worth): Partly cloudy & in the 50s for the rally. I will be a Finish Control captain this year, and my team is assigned to 'repeat' roads on both days which is good. No trying to corral a bunch of marshals, and the Start Control team, and the radio operators, etc. for a transit to another stage. An added bonus of being the Finish captain is that I won't have to listen to codrivers pleading for "dust minutes."

Edited by ExitVisa

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Rallycross - if you like tight racing, this time with Ken Block involved:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6rEF2bM_5s]"You Don't Get This In Other Motorsports!" - Hockenheim RX Semi Final 2 Highlights | FIA World RX - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Last weekend I was involved in a local rally working with radio comm for safety and I was at the start. About 100 cars in total and no serious accidents.

A short video involving 2 cars at the start. Not best camera position though.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ba8h3HGdiA8]Rally Gotland Hejnum - YouTube[/ame]

453747.png