LegacyGT.com

Euro-Mesh Look?

offthacliff

How about 8"s or 7.5"s with the 225's? When you go from a 7" rim to an 8" rim, same make and same offset, where is the change? to the inside, to the outside, or is it bi-directional?

Andy

Short Answer: Bi-directional

Long Answer:

You can do a 225 wide tire on either 8" or 7.5"... but when you go with the same offset for 7.5" vs. a 8" what you are doing is that you are increasing the width in equal directions (bi-directional: in-board/spring-perch side gets 1/4" wider and the out-board/fender 1/4" wider) since it's sharing the same centerline.

1/4" = 6.35mm

Example of where you will get into trouble:

Lets say if you are running a 7.5" wide with a 48mm offset, you put the tire on, and put the rim on the car, you have only 4mm of clearance from the tire to the spring perch. 4mm isnt a lot at all, but the point is that you are not rubbing, so that's a good thing. Ok, let's get the 8" wide rim with the SAME OFFSET at 48mm. Having the same offset means that both rims share the same centerline. The purpose of having an offset number is to shift the centerline (or position really) relative to the centerline axis of the hub so that you can clear other obstructions. So.. in this case, your 8" wide rim will hit the spring perch (1/2" divided by 2 (half of the rim width difference = 1/4" wide = 6.35mm.. 4mm of clearance to cram in an additional 6.35mm of rim = rubbing.. you need 3mm more to clear the spring perch). So to make the 8" wide rim work on the car, you need a +51mm (or 3mm of remaining clearance + the intended 48mm offset on 8" wide rim = new 51mm offset).

Keefe

Keefe

cast .. but for the price you could bend a few pair befor paying for a set of forged

i emailed subydude.. he just hasn't updated the fitment guide

FWIW the web site says steel grey but they only have charcoal grey which is the same?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-Pitt/Pitt-3.jpg

You mean something like this or do you want something deeper?

Keefe

Hello Keefe. Couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.

I noticed that you have different sets of wheels on your LGT. What I would like to know is:

How do these mesh compared to the SSRs?

What do you like and dislike between these two sets?

Which performs better on the track?

I planned on getting LE28Ns for the LGT. But I'm also considering the SSR Comp Hs (and now these mesh, since they look so nice on your LGT).

Thanks for the input.

SK

Just an off the wall question regarding offset, the legacy has enough bolt length in case I need to use a spacer right? More of a just-in-case or oh-crap-it's-rubbing-and-everybody's-closed type of scenario.

5mm spacer at most (because it's based on per rim designs), but the bolts are already short as they are :(

Keefe

Keefe

Hello Keefe. Couple of questions for you, if you don't mind.

I noticed that you have different sets of wheels on your LGT. What I would like to know is:

How do these mesh compared to the SSRs?

What do you like and dislike between these two sets?

Which performs better on the track?

SK

The mesh are strong for track use (curb riding and hard braking). The weight is less optimal on these rims because they are 19 lbs each for 18"x7.5"..

Very hard to compare a name brand forged rims like SSR to a cast generic brand.. it's like night and day.. some people prefer one over the other (usually whatever their wallet allows).

SSRs are pricey for what they are and all of their mesh designs are discontinued.. so only leaving simple-forged rim designs left.

Generics are cheap, but they are heavy.

I would use both on the track, but I would use SSRs for competition since they are lighter by far (12.5 lbs for 17x7.5, 14.5 lbs for 18x8)

There's probably only one other wheel company left worth looking into from my standpoint without going into the 5 figures for just rims and tires and that would be http://www.worksuperwheels.com and ordering a set of custom sized VS-XX rims... Fikse are great, but I dont want to buy a set of rims that cost 1/5th of my GT.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived