LegacyGT.com

2005 Windshield Wind Noise

aredstripe

I was having an excessive windnoise problem with my new 2005 Outback 2.5i. The noise appeared to be coming from the lower center portion of the windshield around the driver's side wiper blade and sounded like it was intruding into the lower center dash area. The noise would start to become aparent as slow as 35 MPH and was dramatically affected by any type of crosswind.

I taped off the entire front windshield with 2 inch masking tap covering both the weatherstrip to body and molding to winshield areas. Once this was done, the noise was eliminated. I took the car to the dealer and explained the windnosie, told them that masking off the windshield eliminated the noise and requested that the specific source of the problem be determined and repaired. I even printed out a copy of the entire windnoise thread from the Legacy Forum which discussed the same problem and gave it to the service manager telling him this is EXACTLY the problem I am having.

The first warranty service tag was written up by the service manager as follows: "Customer states windnoise while driving from lower windshield area beginning 30/40 MPH. Cause: Poor Sealing (windshield wetherstrip / seal / molding). Test drove, noise duplicated from front lower center windshield area. Sublet repair to glass shop to reseal lower windshield weatherstrip. test drove after repairs, could not duplicate noise after repairs were completed."

I picked the car up from the dealer after being assured the noise was eliminated, on drive home it was obvious that the noise was still there, nothing had changed. I returned the next day and told the service manager that whatever they did failed to correct the problem. I went out with a mechanic for a test drive, the mechanic agreed there was a noise and that it appeard to be from the lower portion of the windshield coming off the wiper blade, he removed the wiper arms, stuffed the holes with rags and we again drove it, although the sound was drastically reduced without the wiper arms, I could still detect a noise intruding into the cabin. Then the service manager went for a ride with me -- the same service manager who acknowledged on the first complaint that there was a nosie and that it was eliminated. The service manager then wrote the second warranty service tag as follows:

"Customer states wind noise from center dash area approx 30-40 MPH. Mans vehicle performing to manufactureres specifications. No problem found. Test drove vehicle with customer, confirmed noise customer is hearing. Compared customer's vehicle to three other brand new like vehicles and they all hve the same sound when driving. Customer is hearing air rushing around outside the front windshield which is inherent to the design of the car. No air leaks exist, all parts are operating proerly as designed."

At this point it was obvious I wasn't going to get anywhere with this service manager. I took the car home, and went through a process of masking off various portions of the windshield to determine exactly what was cuasing the noise. I determiend that I could eliminate the excessive windnoise which appeared to be coming off the wiper blade by masking off the entire outside weatherstrip to the body along both A-pilars and the top of the roof, and that I also had to mask off both the left and right side inner-molding piece against the glass. I then took a tube of Permatex Flowable Windshield Silicone and ran a bead down each side of the molding-glass area and also used the silicone to tack down the outer weatherstrip.

The end result is a whisper quiet front windshield at all speeds regardless of crosswind effect. I was just curious to know what, if any, resolution any other dealers have come to regarding similar wind noise problems. I have not yet written to SOA about this matter, and wanted to know how other dealers have dealt with it. I would especially be interested in copies of any warranty repair invoices or other paperwork generated by other dealers as part of fixing this problem.

Thank you, Matt

• 3 weeks later...

We have an '04 legacy station wagon, wind noise drove us nuts at speeds over 55:mad: :(:mad: . We had drivers side seals replaced, no help.

Husband figured it out and fixed it...

It was in the window, between the mirror and speaker, squeezed the black rubber piece so that it hits outside of window.

Also had some minor noise from windsheld after having rock busted winshield replaced, used Silicon sealant to fix this......

Archived