LegacyGT.com

Looking for Quality DP

UnXpectedError

Hey All, I'm going to be buying a Downpipe for my 08 Spec B so that I can Flash to Stage 2.

Looking for a Quality piece thats going to fit right etc. Open to Catted and Catless.

I'm not overly worried about price, I'm willing to pay. But I also don't want to pay double to get an extra 1% if you know what I mean.

Which Downpipe should I be looking at?

Thx in Advance

Cool, anyone know what the deala is with the Catless Cobb DP?

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/cobb-legacygt-race-downpipe-manual-transmission-catless-p-2398.html

Seems to be on a few store websites but its not on Cobb's webpage?

I was told by a Cobb dealer that Cobb is moving away from the catless pipes.

Yeah I kinda figured the Catted version would not rob any power. TBH what makes me lean towards catless is they are cheaper. I've been driving for 16 years here in Canada, and i've never had to do a vehicle inspection......don't see that changing anytime soon.

Few Q's about the install:

1. Is this a relatively easy install? I'm no mechanic by any means. I change my own oil:lol:, install HID's etc....thats about the most i've done. All i have is 2 ramps to get the front wheels about 6 inches off the ground and your average set of el cheapo tools.

2. I'd imagine i should order the stock gaskets from a dealer?

3. Any other parts/tools besides the gaskets and DP I need? Torque wrench?

I did mine with ramps too. not hard. Just take your time and its not biggy. Make sure to get new gaskets thought, or youll hate yourself for that damned leak.

I only needed a 10, 12, 14, 17 mm wrenches and sockets to get it done. Some extensions help (for the DP heat shield). Oh and if you are going to reuse your stock heat shield youll need a dremel or something to trim it.

I've never done one but from what I hear, it can be pretty easily done in an afternoon taking your time. Use either OE gaskets or try Crucial Racing. Jeremy I think sells very nice copper ones. Make sure you have some PB Blaster/WD40 and soak everything ahead of time. Torque wrench is a good tool to have, period. 2 other things I'd say to buy would be a case of beer and a few pizzas since it's always nice to have friends over to help, no matter how small the job.:lol:

Yeah I kinda figured the Catted version would not rob any power. TBH what makes me lean towards catless is they are cheaper. I've been driving for 16 years here in Canada, and i've never had to do a vehicle inspection......don't see that changing anytime soon.

Few Q's about the install:

1. Is this a relatively easy install? I'm no mechanic by any means. I change my own oil:lol:, install HID's etc....thats about the most i've done. All i have is 2 ramps to get the front wheels about 6 inches off the ground and your average set of el cheapo tools.

2. I'd imagine i should order the stock gaskets from a dealer?

3. Any other parts/tools besides the gaskets and DP I need? Torque wrench?

None of this is new information (it's all on threads here already), but since I'm building the perfect DP now, here you go:

The Cobb is a top available DP due to the bellmouth and more durable steel.

Catless = cheaper, but has that unburnt emissions smell!!!

Catted = cost more, but no smell. Lose maybe 1 or 2 horsepower depending on power level.

If you're a detail freak (like me), you'll be unhappy with the exit flange funneling down to 2.5" from 3" to fit the stock catback. I have an aftermarket 3" CBE so...

I have a cobb catless DP, and am going to weld in a top aftermarket high flow cat (Magnaflow 59959 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=mpe-59959 HIGHLY RECOMMEND) though it honestly makes very little difference. It has a smoother flowing cat structure (I blew through it and it was as if it is a hollow pipe with no resistance). Then I'm going to weld on a 3" Vibrant Flange to eliminate the 31% decrease in flow area at the reduced 2.5" exit flange.

I'm not saying it's better or worse, just saying I'm doing it. You should just buy the catted Cobb DP unless you have bigger plans.

Install:

6" of wheel lift will be pretty tight, but doable. Will need new Turbo-DP gasket, and maybe a doughnut gasket and/or 3" 2 bolt gasket (not sure). Will also need an 02 sensor socket to remove that.

Torque wrench highly recommended but not mandatory (needed for the Turbo-DP bolts). Will need to remove the heat shield first, with regular socket wrench.

Good luck.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

+1 for the Cobb.

Cobb stopped making catless DP about a year - year and a half ago. If somebody is listing one then they likely just haven't updated their website. I would also expect that they have none in stock.

Good luck.

Archived