LegacyGT.com

QUESTION: Legacy GT 2005+

I had a dozen track days with my LGT before getting a more dedicated track car. I used the stock brakes for a couple of days before upgrading just the pads and fluid. As long as the system was flushed, I never had any problems braking 125 to 40 mph for a hairpin. I replaced the rotors after a season of tracking because of deposits from multiple heat cycles of swapping between street and track pads. I replaced them with another set of stock rotors. The pedal always felt soft but the car never lacked for stopping power. The ABS always came on during hard breaking at the track until I went with DOT R tires which tells me the weakest link in stopping was the tires.

No other problems with my 05 which only sees daily driver duty now.

There are a few threads on this.

I bought an 05, but looking back I'd probably pick up an 06 for the following reasons:

1. The turbo part number was replaced to a (supposedly) more reliable model

2. 07+ are CAN-BUS and I don't believe you can use a normal open-source tune / tactrix cable on them yet.

3. 06+ can play MP3 CD's

Everything else seems to be pretty reliable on these cars.

all 06 and newer can play MP3 discs?

The factory pads on all Subaru's (except STi) are horrible, the first thing everyone should do when they buy a Subie is swap the stockers out for something a little more aggressive, or a lot more aggressive like the Hawk HP+ that I have on my car. 15k miles on the pads so far with the stock rotors, and no vibrations to speak of.

The 2nd thing everyone should do is get rid of the evil RE92's :icon_bigg

The turbo engines don't have headgasket or piston slap problems like the older engines had. Phase I 2.5's have internal HG failures while Phase II 2.5's have external HG leaks and piston slap problems. Most turbo engine failures are owner-caused.

The factory pads on all Subaru's (except STi) are horrible, the first thing everyone should do when they buy a Subie is swap the stockers out for something a little more aggressive, or a lot more aggressive like the Hawk HP+ that I have on my car. 15k miles on the pads so far with the stock rotors, and no vibrations to speak of.

The 2nd thing everyone should do is get rid of the evil RE92's :icon_bigg

The turbo engines don't have headgasket or piston slap problems like the older engines had. Phase I 2.5's have internal HG failures while Phase II 2.5's have external HG leaks and piston slap problems. Most turbo engine failures are owner-caused.

thanks man!!!

Archived