LegacyGT.com

Squeal with Cold Start

If it's the starter, it's pretty easy to replace with a new unit. Also, some have had luck with their existing starter by greasing the shaft that the gear rides on.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

The one underneath is accessible from the front using a socket and an extender. It was just too dark when I took the photo to provide a reliable picture.

You need to loosen those because otherwise you won't be able to move the alternator with the adjustment screw. If you look under the hood I think it will get a bit clearer.

And I think that sockets are the best option, this will make it a lot easier. It's easy to damage the heads of the screws otherwise. Make sure you have metric sockets.

or you can bend the bolt and snap it like i did when i first attempted to adjust my belt. and only the subaru dealership has the tensioner bolt.

• 3 weeks later...
If it's the starter, it's pretty easy to replace with a new unit. Also, some have had luck with their existing starter by greasing the shaft that the gear rides on.

Dude so have you seen a DIY for starter regreasing on here? I cannot find it. I can find the starter though (just dont know what to unbolt)

Also, How do you check the voltage on a starter? I dont think this guy (or myself for that matter) are having a belt issue.

not sure if there is a diy, but it's not too bad of a thing to try before spending money. remove the starter (disconnect battery, remove starter - 2 big bolts and one clip-on wire).

When holding the removed starter, you'll see the gear and shaft. No need to take it apart. Just spray the shaft with a little brake cleaner to get any gunk out, then apply some grease. If that doesn't help, just replace the starter.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

okay I did that. The starter sounds more resilient yet it still doesn't start easily. I ran codes and it said two camshaft position sensors (banks 1 and 2) and the crankshaft position sensors need attention. What's the correlation to rough starts? Has anyone changed these before?

• 4 weeks later...

Mine squealed right before the throwout bearing seized and damaged my tranny case. I got new case, new clutch, new bearing, and it still squeals in the morning sometimes. Seems like after it rained or sat for awhile. Maybe humidity causes some surface rust that has to break free?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

If you have an inspection scope ( cheap from harbor freight) how can stick it through the shift fork boot right under the intercooler. Have someone press clutch pedal and look at the snout of the transmission that the throwout bearing slides on. If it is smooth you should be ok. If it is not smooth, take the transmission off and get a steel sleeve kit to go over the snout before it is too late. Once the snout breaks off, you must get a new tranny or find a shop to take yours apart and rrplace the case.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Archived