LegacyGT.com

Moan/Groan at Idle

I'm getting a moaning sound (not me) coming from my 98 Legacy at idle. The sound increases when I step on the brake. I'm thinking serpentine belt that has increased stress when the brakes need power - does that sound accurate?

I also have a burning rubber or oil smell coming from the car after being driven - thinking this is the belt perhaps or maybe a cv joint boot that is throwing oil on the exhaust?

Do you guys have experience with something similar?

Brakes have vacuum servo, so it shouldn't be caused by the brakes, but the alternator load can result in this - so replacing the alternator belt is probably a good idea. And make sure the tension is right.

As for the oil smell - check all CV boots, you will see it if it's a problem. It may of course also be another oil leak, just take a deep dive. Make sure that the car is supported well if you plan to crawl under it or you will be playing pancake causing any relatives of yours to be less than happy.

453747.png

I would also check and replace the PCV valve or EGR valve if your car has one. They are pretty cheap and I ran into a moaning type noise on a truck not too long ago and the owner went through a lot of cost and headaches before replacing that, which turned out to be the problem. Seriously, $3-6 for the valve and maybe a couple bucks for a new hose if you need one. Well worth the try.

• 1 month later...

With your car being a 98 and smelling hot oil, it would be worth checking the bottom edges of the valve covers on each side of the motor. Subies develop leaks there over time and just requires pulling the covers and putting on new seals. Not a bad job, just a little tight.

Also look over your oil pan and the plastic timing belt cover (bottom of this cover) to check for any oil leaks (if there's oil on the timing belt cover, those seals can be replaced when you have a timing belt job done since everything has to come off anyway, the oil pan can be done anytime).

Those are the most obvious leak locations other than the rear main seal, but that's on the output shaft going to the transmission and requires pulling the trans to replace (just so that you know what/where it is - dealer's don't always check everything and knowing beforehand can save money in the long run by doing things in parallel if trans needs to be pulled for clutch work, etc at some point).

• 4 months later...

Archived