LegacyGT.com

13 sec 1/4 mile?

If i was going to spend any money on the exhaust i would have prefered to get 3"s all the way through, so the cat back was a logical choice.

Though on hindsite, I could have just replaced that straight portion before the Y to 3"s, since the volume of exhaust the 2 pipes after the Y increases so much...hmm..sright..

Why do you need stickier tires? Does the Legacy have trouble hooking up at the drag strip?

RE92s and an open diff in the front doesnt help much. The car makes enough power as it is, just need LARGER tires to make use of the max speed per gear so that you dont have to do as much shifting.. you might just pull off a 1/4 mile run with just 3 gears instead of 4.. think of the timing savings from just that alone.

Keefe

Keefe

Stock RE-92's are not great. STi's come with a pretty good tire. Getting stickier tires will make you a little quicker...hell...you can spin them in the 1-2 shift.

And dropping the tire pressures help absorb some of the forces to allow better hook up (old drag technique that still haunts us all today).

Keefe

Keefe

Given an opportunity, I think I would rather put some 15s or 14s on with some drag radials for the better launch..heh

sure, you can run 15s, just use Impreza RS OEM brakes and you are set. Just make sure you use a tire diameter of 25.3" or larger

As for the exhuast, why not just run a 4" downpipe and just dump it from there? That's an easier way to make 4" 'exhaust' ;)

Keefe

Keefe

sure, you can run 15s, just use Impreza RS OEM brakes and you are set. Just make sure you use a tire diameter of 25.3" or larger

As for the exhuast, why not just run a 4" downpipe and just dump it from there? That's an easier way to make 4" 'exhaust' ;)

Keefe

I think 4" would be overkill..hahahhaah :D

I would figure that the exhaust gases would have cooled enough where the extra diameter of the 3" tube in the back....but then i could be talking out of my ass..hahah

Regardless, i just want to get that cat back installed so i don't have to hear that exhaust leak whenever I gas it..heh

Honestly, turbo cars run quite well with just a downpipe. I've done it a few times. It's good for a tenth or two on your E/T.

The key with any turbo-back or cat-back system is that you try to maintain a constant size or stay with an increasing size to maximize the velocity of exhaust gasses all the way out of the tailpipe.

Maintaining one size is still better because your exhaust gas velocity is at it's maximum all the way out. The turbine pushes the gasses for you but, if your pipe diameter drops back down in size at any point, you're causing a bottle neck and thus killing the velocity.

I think 4" would be overkill..hahahhaah :D

I would figure that the exhaust gases would have cooled enough where the extra diameter of the 3" tube in the back....but then i could be talking out of my ass..hahah

Regardless, i just want to get that cat back installed so i don't have to hear that exhaust leak whenever I gas it..heh

It's not an exhuast leak if the downpipe is the final pipe of the exhuast system ;)

Keefe

Archived