LegacyGT.com

Subie Performance Shops - San Jose, CA

05SubieLegacy

You might try posting on a forum with more people - I've found that there aren't a ton of legacy owners in one area, but if you go to i-club.com or something they have a great "bay-area" section where you can probably find more information on local "speed shops." I go to school in Santa Clara, but I haven't taken my car to any shops... sorry.

Thanks for the response SFG. I really appreciate that.

Just an FYI for those also interested in this information. I called Gruppe-S and they mainly focus on the Impreza/STI. They have not done anything specific with the Legacy, particularly the 2005. Of course they can support and install and part ordering and consulting/recommendations but they have not developed a precise staging plan like they have for the Impreza/STI.

I will be contacting these other shops to see what kind of response i get. I will post my comments.

Thanks again.

Reade

If you call Gruppe-S again, talk to Mike. He has some experience with ECUtek-ing Legacys (but, I don't think they have any parts in). He did highwaydrifters car a while back, and it was a good tune, from what I've heard. Good friends of mine have had some problems mail ordering stuff from them, but their in-shop customer service sounds like it is pretty good.

Subaru Specalists (formerly S-Squared) is located in Sacramento, so its not quite in the Bay Area. I'm a fan of their shop, because I used to live in Sac, and even now its the closest Subaru tuner to me. I'll actually be taking my car there fairly soon for a reflash and we'll probably talk about other goodies. I don't think they will ever have any of their own parts to sell, but they can get anything. Nate is extremely knowledgable and he always seems to be able to help me out figuring out what parts are best for me. Nate runs the motorsports side of things and Joe runs the repair/maintainence side. Both are very knowledgable and should be able to help you out.

A rundown of the rest:

LIC is Novato (Northbay) so it may a bit of a drive from San Jose (not like Sacramento is any closer). They seem like a solid group, but I've never had any direct experience.

Vishnu is a major player in Subaru's and Mitsubishi's (and what ever else strikes Shiv's fancy for the week). Very knowledgable, but customer service always seems to be lacking (just keep bugging them to get what you want).

MPJ are pretty good guys too, from what I've heard. Again, no direct dealings, but Soren seems pretty cool and knowledgable. Mike from Gruppe-S used to run MPJ.

Also, I think Gruppe-S is having a Dyno Day on the 19th or March. At the very least you can go hang out and see how much your car is putting down. Get some free food, chat it up with other Subaru owners and the shop tuners.

MPJ = parts for legacy

Gruppe-s = Tuning for legacy..

dont let mike fool you, he tuned my legacy when it wasnt but a day old.. On a 91 crap gas tune running super safe (we got the intercooler temp up to 200 and no knock, afrs were nice and rich) it runs like a beast.

Anyways talk to mike, he is the tuner, if you want parts it doesnt get much better then soren at mpjperformance.com ...

LIC motorsports is supposed to be THE PLACE to go to for swaps...as far as wrx's they always swap in sti engines or wrx engines into 2.5rs's...they also do tranny swaps...sti 6 speeds...Vishnu is also THE MAN...but you cant go wrong going to any of the shops mentioned...We bay area folks are lucky we have so many tuners knowledgable of Subarus/turbo cars....check out i-club.com....they have specific tuner forums as well as a bay area forum...very busy forum

yah i miss the bay area cause of all the shops :)

shiv is cool and pretty much is an oracle when it comes to EFI tuning, but with that comes the whole trying to get his attention so he can tune your ish.

LIC are awesome guys, never had any buisness dealings with them but all the northern bay folks swear by them (which is a good sign). fact of the matter is you cant go wrong in the bay with tuners so long as you stick to what people mentioned here.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone that has called Gruppe-S regarding Legacy packages please drop me a line at (510) 783-5300 x18 as I would like to hear from you. To date we have nothing concrete but we need your help to change that and I would like to be the contact at Gruppe-S to channel this.

If we can do anything for you Legacy guys please let me know.

Mike

Archived