LegacyGT.com

Honda leaving F1

Deaks2

I don't think you can take anything away from the driver Bosco, they are the best of the best. Nowa days they have to cope from immense pressure from the press as well. Drivers like, Vettle, Hami, Alonso and Kubica who drive their best in the wet prove to me that they're the most capable. When Hampster from Top Gear took the Renault out, he hit full throttle for 0.1 second in 2 laps, and he drives for a living. It's not far to claim that todays drivers are any better or any worse to drivers of yesteryear, again, back to Top Gear, if lap times mean anything, Hami is quicker in the wet than Hill, Button, Webber and Mansel in the dry.

No tyre warmers should prove intresting, 1st corner is going to be even scarier now

Yeah what he said^^

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They're still real cars with real drivers, bosco. Ever read a story about a journalist given the chance to drive a 21st century F1 car? They can't even get the car going fast enough to get the tires warm. :lol:

actually they are "unreal" cars the performance level is beyond insane and the drivers are few and far between that can drive one to it's limits, like fighter pilots on wheels but the fact remains with no passing and Bernie at the controls the actual racing is boring to watch.

btw it's all in the brakes ;)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Related to Honda, Jenson Button makes the most moronic decisions regarding who he drives for. Try for Toro Rosso, Jenson, and drive for nothing if you have to rather than stay out for a year. You're too old and you've lost your competitive mojo. Out of http://www.autosport.com

Button: It's Honda or nothing for 2009

By Jonathan Noble and Steven English Saturday, December 13th 2008, 15:29 GMT

Jenson Button has dropped a major hint that it is Honda Racing or nothing for him in Formula One next year, after vowing to stick with his team until their future is sorted out.

The Briton has faced uncertainty about his 2009 prospects since Honda dropped the bombshell earlier this month that they were pulling out of the sport.

But Button, who recently signed a three-year contract extension, has made it clear that he has no intention of jumping ship and pushing for a race seat elsewhere. It means that if a buyer is not found, he risks being left on the sidelines for the 2009 season.

Speaking at the Race of Champions draw at Wembley on Saturday, Button said he had no qualms about his current course of action and that there is no rush from his side to get matters sorted out.

"It's obviously a very difficult decision," he said. "In a way, who does know the answer, what's the right thing to do? But I'm happy with staying where I am at the moment.

"My way of thinking is that if this team does happen in 2009, we will be very strong. I'm sure there would be other options to race in F1, but very limited, because it's so late in the day. So it is a difficult decision to make.

"But at the moment I'm completely focused on working with the team to try to find someone to buy it - that has to be my best option for 2009. I'd rather not take a year out because I think that is bad for a racing driver, but that is always an option also.

"But my first aim is to race with the Brackley-based team, whatever they're called for next year."

Although Honda's withdrawal means the team no longer have as much money to invest in pre-season development, Button still believes that if a buyer is found the outfit can be very competitive.

"Our new car is almost finished and we're working very, very hard on completing that and building a strong car for 2009. Then we've just got to hope that somebody comes along and realises what a good opportunity this is to buy a Formula One team in our position.

"I'm pretty positive that we'll get a buyer, it's a great opportunity for anyone. The facilities we have are second to none, they really are. We have an amazing team principal in Ross Brawn and the factory is fighting very hard to race next season.

"If we are on the grid next year, we will be a much stronger team for it."

Button is a talented driver, but IMO, was never destined for success in F1. send him to Nascar.

former F1 drivers don't fair very well there either and i thought they were the best drivers in the world. :lol:

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Oh c'mon they are.....Juan would be beter if he could keep a cool head...but he can't. Mansel won an F1 championship and an Indy car championship in one year IIRC.

Their reaction times are just incredible, way beyond a figher pilots, there are only 22 F1 drivers in the world! Only the best of the best need apply. I'd like to see Jeff Gordon Vs Micheal Schumacher, I don't think there would be much of a contest.....

Oh c'mon they are.....Juan would be beter if he could keep a cool head...but he can't. Mansel won an F1 championship and an Indy car championship in one year IIRC.

Their reaction times are just incredible, way beyond a figher pilots, there are only 22 F1 drivers in the world! Only the best of the best need apply. I'd like to see Jeff Gordon Vs Micheal Schumacher, I don't think there would be much of a contest.....

ever think there are only 22 cars to drive :rolleyes:

iirc JG and some F1 driver switched cars for a test drive both did well but both drove better in the cars they normally drive. i find it hard to believe an F1 driver has better reaction skills than a fighter pilot.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Yeah there are only 22 cars, and look at the difference between the fastest drivers and the slowest drivers, these teams can hire anyone they like, and offer them 7 or 8 digit figures to drive, they only have the best.

And I think they do have better reaction times....I've spent ALOT of time around fighter pilots, heck I've even flown Tornado jets, they're quick yeah but I don't think they're as quick. They're only comparable to each other no other sport/activity (that I can think of) requires that kind of concentration and precision. 0-100-0 in 5 seconds will take it outa anyone. 4G in the corners whilst keeping the car on the road and away from other cars is no mean feat.

It's different being a fighter pilot and a F1 driver. A fighter pilot must be capable of performing multiple tasks at the same time while a F1 driver doesn't have to worry about incoming missiles and a lot of other tasks - but instead work on precision driving at high speeds. But both are demanding.

The closest thing to F1 should be the F1 boats and MotoGP.

453747.png

It's different being a fighter pilot and a F1 driver. A fighter pilot must be capable of performing multiple tasks at the same time while a F1 driver doesn't have to worry about incoming missiles

F1 needs missiles.

ignore him, he'll go away.

No one has even mentioned those ridiculously lavish expandable team trailer trucks and other PR vehicles. Also, Teams can fly many staff members in coach class like the rest of us common-folk.

IMHO - refueling is part of every successful major motorsports series in the world and should not be banned. Everything else I agree with.

No one has even mentioned those ridiculously lavish expandable team trailer trucks and other PR vehicles. Also, Teams can fly many staff members in coach class like the rest of us common-folk.

IMHO - refueling is part of every successful major motorsports series in the world and should not be banned. Everything else I agree with.

I just want to point out (not so humbly :p) that you are WRONG on refueling. F1 was very successful without it. It only appeared briefly in 82-83 and then from 95 onwards.

I think bos is an F1 hater

i love F1 at least the old F1 where the cars actually passed each other. i also loved the high tech cars which over the years are slowly turning into nothing more than spec. cars. the whole F1 series has turned into a circus run by a bunch of clowns other than that it's great.

Stay Stock Stay Happy

take away most of the aero package, use smaller tires, make the cars so you can see the driver again, etc. the cars are getting to where you may as well have them use remote control like the military does with the Predators. the cars used to look great with the suspension showing and actually seeing someone driving them now they have so many wings and crap it looks like the Batmobile with a helmet in it. believe me i appreciate the technology but it's still a race car and to me racing means passing if not what's the point and btw where are the rivalries like in the 70's and 80's? hater? i don't hate F1 just not as interesting as it was before.
Stay Stock Stay Happy

p.s. make the drivers actually drive the car the present aero package like KRB stated so good you could drive the thing upside down thats not driving thats not the real world.

thanks i feel better now. :)

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Archived