LegacyGT.com

STi caliper conversion question

rnstein69

OK, I have been doing a lot of research on doing the stock LGT caliper to STi caliper conversion and I found most of the information that I was looking for. I already have bought a set of front and rear calipers from a 2007 STi that was wrecked, so that is out of the way; I still need to get the bracket from fastwrx.com for the rear calipers, and the "custom" parking brake shoes so that I can use regular 2004 STi rotors rather than having to get the heavier and more expensive DBA rotor (which the rotor only is also available at fastwrx.com).

There are a few unanswered questions that I still have about this conversion though.

1. I am pretty sure that I have to use the existing brake lines that are in the LGT or get braided lines that are for the LGT, or would STi lines also work?

2. I would like to be able to use my stock wheels in the winter which have all season tires on them. From doing some research here and on other Subaru forums I found this info:

Legacy GT:

12.3 vented front disc

11.3 vented rear disc

17" 5 spoke alloy wheels, 7jj, offset 55mm (2.17)

215/45 ZR17 Bridgestone Potenza RE 92

STi:

Brembo Disc brakes

Front: Vented 12.7" diameter, 1.2" thick, Four-piston, fixed-position calipers.

Rear: Vented 12.3" diameter, .8" thick, Two-piston, fixed-position calipers.

17x8" BBS alloy (17x8jj), 5 lug, 5x114.3 pattern

225/45R17 Bridgestone Potenza RE070 Summer/Directional

Offset 53mm (it's been suggested not to go under 48mm)

So my question here is, it seems that the wheel diameter for the LGT and the 2004 STi are the same, and it looks like there is only a 0.4" diameter difference in the front rotor size between the two (so diameter-wise I think that the LGT wheels will clear, but not the spokes due to offset), but the offset is different. If I use a wheel spacer to decrease the overall wheel offset so that it is the same or close to that of the 2004 STi, would I be able to use my stock LGT wheels without any clearance issues?

You cannot go on offset specs alone to determine spacer size. Offset does not take into account wheel spoke size and position relative to the brake caliper. Wheel spacers are a bandaid, IMO.

If and when you decide to search for wheels that will fit your car with the STi calipers installed, search the NASIOC sticky about wheels that fit the 04 STi.

You cannot go on offset specs alone to determine spacer size. Offset does not take into account wheel spoke size and position relative to the brake caliper. Wheel spacers are a bandaid, IMO.

If and when you decide to search for wheels that will fit your car with the STi calipers installed, search the NASIOC sticky about wheels that fit the 04 STi.

Good point about the spoke size and position I didn't think that through completely.

I actually have 18 x 8 volk ce28n's (44 offset) on order for spring/summer/fall use, I am just concerned about them for the winter.

17" ASA's from tirerack $100 each

I might look into those. Thanks.

Or, I guess I could get a set of 04 STi wheels if I come across them.

I have read that spacers can cause issues with our axels and AWD drivetrain. Go with a wheel that fits any 04 STi and you will be fine.

17" for winter is the better choice. You will be able to get cheaper rubber with a softer sidewall for more comfort. Post some picts of your brake job when you are done.

hmm.. all of these points are making me want to steer away from the spacers idea.

well, I have volks on the way and I think that they should clear the STi calipers, at least according to that thread of what wheels will fit the STi on nasioc: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448097

The volks are still on order and should be another month or so. I am thinking I will wait until spring to do this conversion, just in time for the autocross season, so then I will have 8 or 9 months to search for 2004 STi wheels for the winter.

Thanks for all of the input guys, it is much appreciated. I will be sure to have some pics and a review when this is all said and done!!

i tried spacers on the front with the stock wheels at first. Made the car feel like a fork lift cause the front track was noticeably wider than the rear. Turn in was amazing, but I ditched them for cheap wheels that fit.

Spacers are a dumb idea.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Well, just to get through this winter I guess it wouldn't be so bad. I can get spacers for the rear also to even them out. I mean, its gonna be for 3 months from the time that I will most likely be doing the conversion, then in the spring I will look for a used set of 04 STi wheels. I dunno. I am still up in the air about it.

After doing some more research, H&R makes these hubcentric spacers. I am thinking of possibly giving them a shot, they look pretty solid and retain the use of the hub for the wheel to sit on; Another words, H&R makes these car and model specific. I think I am going to try to mount the front and rear STi caliper on one side then see how much clearance I would need. If it is only 5 or 7 mm it is less than 5/16" which is minimal. In this case I dont think that I would need to roll my fenders.. (I am already lowered on Tein Flex coilovers)..

Here is a pic, they look pretty good to me:

http://www.hrsprings.com/images/products/trak_photos/TRAK_medium.jpg

you should stop screwing around with thinking of spacers, new studs, whatever and wait until you have the cash to the do entire project correctly with appropriate wheels out of the gate.

Also, as a correction to a post above, '04 STi wheels are 7.5" width, not 7".

yup, those are the spacers you need. but spacers are not a good solution

I know that it is not the best solution, but just to get through this winter (3 months or so) until I get and can put the volks on with summer tires, it is the most cost friendly option.

In the spring I would plan on selling my stock wheels and getting a set of 04 STi wheels.

You don't have to get THE 04 Sti wheels ($$$). ANY wheel that fits an 04 STi will work. Just go on tirerack and set the car as 04 STi and then browse wheels.

You're gonna spend about $300 all said and done to get the spacers on. $450 should get you wheels shipped to your door.

you also didn't mention a second set of wheels at all so that means you have to have your tires removed from the rim and then the winters mounted. That's another $150 and then you'll have to do it again in the spring.

Buy wheels now and do it right.... or don't do it at all untill you can do it right. The wheel bearings are a mess as it is, don't make them worse with spacers even for a few hundred miles.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 2 months later...

Archived