LegacyGT.com

LED SMD Fog light replacement bulbs

LegacyMUN2k6

^ Shouldn't be a problem, given the factory fog's optics.

But then again, I honestly don't know how powerful these things are....they may be insufficient for DRL use and/or true-fog use.

They've had these on V-LED for a while now (look under their DRL replacement options). I haven't tried them, but I have tried their "SMT" 9XX solution, in red, when I was experimenting with my rear-fog setup, and it was woefully underpowered for daylight operation.

Given that these are "bigger" units, and would make use of a deeper reflector dish in the fogs, I simply don't know.

If someone's got the dollars to spare, it might be an interesting project, for sure.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I agree..... I think that, currently, the multiple "bulb" LEDs are the only way to go.

If those are 1-watt LEDs, I'm guessing they're worthless.

If they're 3-watt, then they're probably not bad.

I'm not optimistic, though.

I've been out of the flashlight hobby for so long that I don't know, anymore, what these "surface mount" arrays consist of.

Individually, they're definitely not that bright.

In terms of what I think of traditionally, as "1W" and "3W" LEDs (and here, remember, please, when I got out of that hobby, the SureFire L6 was king of the production-line items :redface: so that was quite a while ago), in the rear-fog thread ( http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31502&highlight=rear+fog ), I'd commented, in post #7, on my then-desire to pursue the red1156-RLX5 "5W" (their terminology - it's actually a 3W side-firing, surrounded by an array of 4 surface mounts), but if you looked at their website, it has the following disclaimer:

To prevent over heating, they will automatically dim if turned on for long periods of time.

That made me rather afraid - that for a safety device (i.e. rear fog), that this LED, when overheated, would shut itself off in order to cool down.

This would lead me to believe that this particular item would be more suited to only momentary actuation of the "bright/high" element.

From what little LED-know-how that I retained from my flashlight days, I think that a more efficient heat-sink, custom, solution would be necessary in order to render a more capable LED-based fog than what brother PhilT and others have already accomplished.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived