LegacyGT.com

My AUX-IN installed...

ChgoMike

So I finally got around to having someone install my Audio Control HPX aux-input, along with speakers and an amp. I originally spoke about it here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7463

The speakers are MB Quart RCE216 in the front and back. I got two pair for a very good price from eBay.

The amp is a smallish Alpine unit that fits underneath the driver's seat and provides enough power for my purposes.

The Audio Control HPX unit can be found here:

http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAudio/Products/InDash/HPX.html

They don't sell the units directly, but I found one for sale on the web for about $220.

I'm pretty pleased with the installation that was done at Tweeter. I bought the amp from them and they installed the speakers and the HPX without a problem.

The HPX unit was installed underneath the dash on the passenger's side. You can see I still need to bury the 1/8" patch chord underneath the dash panel. This is an okay placement, but I now see where it may get kicked around a bit by a carelss passenger. I almost had it installed in the glove box, but there was a question about whether there would be enough clearance for the 1/8" chord coming out the front while still being able to close the glove box. This also would not have given me easy access to the HPX.

The only alternative that might have been better was to install it underneath the dash on the driver's side, practically undeath the steering wheel. This might have given me better access to the switch that toggles between the signal coming the head unit and the aux-in signal. I may move it at some point in the future.

I'm very pleased with the sound. Most of this is due to the MB Quarts which are excellent. I was worried that the HPX would make the iPod sound too processed, but that isn't the case at all.

Your mileage may vary. Sorry for the crappy photos - that's what you get with a point-n-shoot. I can take better ones if anyone is interested. It also looks nice at night - you can choose a blue/red or a green backlight.

closeup.jpg.732c3b9786be6cb0b9d20c38a922b515.jpg

AMP.jpg.15902e7b05c4b3b59ae6bda6cec6ba6a.jpg

WIDE.jpg.e32ddac0411682a0ee4289a559c17406.jpg

How does the audio out of the HU sound after coming through this thing?

Simply stated, it sounds fine. I haven't had much time to play with the different levels and variables on the HPx unit, but so far I am happy with the whole system.

When your iPod is plugged in, do you control the volume with the ipod, the knob on the HPX, or the headunit volume knob? Is there any noticeable decrease in sound quality (like if you went through an FM modulator?).

Seems like a good solution. Thanks for sharing the idea.

tom

tom :)

When your iPod is plugged in, do you control the volume with the ipod, the knob on the HPX, or the headunit volume knob? Is there any noticeable decrease in sound quality (like if you went through an FM modulator?).

Seems like a good solution. Thanks for sharing the idea.

tom

The volume is controlled by the iPod. In fact, with the aux-in source selected, you can turn the in-dash stereo off and the ipod is running through the amp. This is a significant improvement over an FM modulator - it's a direct connection.

The volume is controlled by the iPod. In fact, with the aux-in source selected, you can turn the in-dash stereo off and the ipod is running through the amp. This is a significant improvement over an FM modulator - it's a direct connection.

Ahh, I get it. So it's acting as a LOC for the headunit, and a pre-amp for the aux in? Wow, it must sound really good!

Thanks for the idea!

tom

tom :)

Archived