LegacyGT.com

What should I pay for a 97 Legacy GT sedan?

fairladyz_gt-r

Hi Newbie here, I am currently looking at a 97 Legacy GT sedan with 5sp, 102,000 miles, the dealer seems to be willing to do 4000 is that a good deal? What should I be looking at. Also what service should i expect (or hope that the dealer already done) for car with this mile.

(here's the car in question,http://www.royalontheeastside.com/view_vehicle.php?vin=4S3BD6756V6214903)

Another one that caught my attention is a 98 L wagon, with 150k mile, seems to have alot of work done to it and its significantly cheaper (2800OBO) (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_45_|B-4000|D-_410_|N-N|R-100|I-1%2c7|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|Z-47401&aff=national&paId=294603818&recnum=1&leadExists=true)

Which one will you guys recommend? I am mainly looking to use it as a winter car and nothing else

Thanks!:)

Well looking at edmunds on the 97 GT, the dealer retail value is only $2900. If you had to trade it back in on something you could expect about $1700. That being the case yeah $4k is too much. Their asking price of $5988 is ridiculous. I wouldn't pay more than $3k or so. Again, this is based off edmunds, which imo is more realistic to true market conditions than kelly blue book. Kbb prob lists the dealer price close to 6k.

At 102K, you're looking at the very least to have the timing belt and valves adjusted at 105K. Timing belt will cost at least $375 from the dealer; I have no idea about the valve adjustment. Other things you should look at getting done while everything is apart:

- water pump

- front main seal

- camshaft seals

- drive belts

- hoses

Then, there's condition of the clutch. That's a $1.5K+ job at the dealer. Also, was the headgasket replaced? They're notorious for blowing right around 60K.

With that many miles on the car, you could be looking at a lot of potential problems. Good news would be once they're done, the car should last you a while. I recently traded in a 98GT with ~125K on it, so I have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done.

Archived