LegacyGT.com

Widest Tire I Can Go?

kirbwrx

I have searched and cannot come up with a definitive answer. What is the widest tire I can run on my stock suspension spec.b? I want to run 235s or 245s if possible. I want to know what offset the rims need to be to clear everything. Thanks in advance.

Tim

245s can be run on 8" wide rims +51mm to +48mm or less offset with proper camber. camber and offset will play more of a roll if you are lowered. on the stock spec b struts with no lowering, you will want a 8" wide rim withthe ofset i stated above and either a 245/35/18 or 245/40/18 tire. check the tire sizes faq sticky in this subforum for more info.

Spec.Bs have 18x7 wheels; my 225/40-18s are fine on them.

I tried 245/40-18 on a set of Ultraleggeras (18x8; ET48) and they rubbed badly in the rear wheel wells (outboard, on the plastic fender liner) and just a bit somewhere in the front when the steering was cranked hard over (which wasn't such a problem). So, to the OP: you may have issues. HPH

^thats why i say it can be done with the right camber and alittle bit of fender roll. FWIW im running 17x8 +48 ultralaggeras with a 245/40/17 tire and no rubbing, becuase i have -2 deg camber all around with a very slight rear fender roll. so it can be done.

thats why i say it can be done...

Um, you are aware that 245/40-17 is not the same size as 245/40-18, right?

It was on suspension compressions that my 18s rubbed, meaning that the diameter of the tire was a factor in the issue, as well as the width. Thus "slight" fender roll might not do the trick with 18s.

So, kirbwx: yes. HPH

^that only means that your springs are not stiff enough to prevent the tires from rubbing when there is suspension compression. reducing suspension compression will fix the rub. this is why coilover will help facilitate wide rims and tires. aside from strut clearance, preloading the spring will preven the car from bottoming out on the tire.

Archived