LegacyGT.com

Advice Needed Please - Alpine Speakers not performing as well as expected... 05 2.5i

SolidFish

Last week we installed a set of Alpine Full range speakers (all 4). We are still using the OEM head unit and no amplifier was installed.

These were Alpine 171/170 (i think?) with 50W rms rating.

After the install, the sound quality seems the same. At higher volumes, we cant tell the difference between these and stock (35W rms). Listening to the radio, the quality sounds the same.

I'm assuming we need an amplifier or this cleansweep thing everyone is talking about. My question is, do you think it will make a difference by only getting an amplifier?

Thank you,

hell yeah it will your head unit is only putting out about 5-10 watts per channel those speakers need quite a bit more to run them properly plus sound quality on stock headunit is not very good.

As far as a cleansweep or alpine vehicle hub or something you dont need it you can just put in a new aftermarket headunit which will give you alot more options as well as alot better sound quality

-Josh Herrera

-2007 DGM OBXT

FishingFiend.

I don't know where you heard that myth, but there is NO SUCH THING as under-powering speakers in reference to damage.

Now, if you're overdriving an amplifier, running into the voltage rails and distorting, that can damage any speaker regardless of the power output.

Bottom line is that you need an EQ to get the most benefit, period. To use an EQ, such as the Rockford 3Sixty.2 or any 1/3rd octave EQ, you'll need an amp setup. Anything less than a 1/3rd octave EQ usually isn't worth it, as you can get the 3sixty.2 for around 330 if you're careful on ebay.

If your going to continue to use the factory deck I would of added an amp before replacing the speakers. Since your using your factory deck which is only putting out 20 watts, if that, it dont matter if you use crappy stock speakers or a $250 dollar pair, itll sound like crap. You need MORE POWER!!

Now, if you're overdriving an amplifier, running into the voltage rails and distorting, that can damage any speaker regardless of the power output.

You're right, this is exactly what I was eluding too. Not enough power, generally results in turning the volume higher. Distortion is the enemy...

I'll be parting out my LGT specific audio gear, including a 3sixty.2 and FG box this week. I've got a DNX 8120 on the way. :)

FishingFiend. I was looking at the DDX812/DNX8120 for my last car (they're the same unit, just with/without NAV). Time allignment is probably better in the Kenwood, only because you can adjust it from the dash without a bluetooth phone.

I determined that the EQ in it wasn't enough, so I bought an EQ (ARC Audio MEQ-30) Instead.

Just some food for thought. Oh, and I wrote a positive review of the 3Sixty.2 in the review section, 'cause I've had good results so far.

Thanks all for the responses. I suppose getting the AMP is the first solution. Replacing the stock head unit is not an option.

I've been looking at the cleansweeps and they are over $300. This more than what I want to spend on the stereo. I wanted decent sounding system, not no competition serious. I've already spent a pretty penny on those speaker so its either the amp or cleansweep. Since power seems to be the problem, I'll do the amp.

My next question would be, any good write ups on here on how to install amps?

Thanks again

The problem is NOT power, it's equalization. Cleansweap is NOT equalization, 3Sixty.2 is.

I understand the need to try and do things inexpensively, but to fix what you want, you need two things:

1) Equalization (requires amps typically)

2) sound deadening.

Good luck!

Archived