LegacyGT.com

Steering knuckles and caliper brackets?

Brian55

I need new steering knuckles and caliper brackets. The pinch bolts that hold the ball joint broke off in both steering knuckles. Plus the top caliper bracket bolts snapped off in both brackets. Can I use this as a good excuse to upgrade brake/suspension components, or do upgraded systems retain the OEM knuckles and caliper brackets? Thanks, Brian

P.S. If anyone has any of these parts for sale, contact me.

I broke a caliper bolt while putting on a set of DBA rotors the day before a track day last month. I took my caliper bracket with a broken bolt to my Subaru dealer for removal. I was billed for 30 min work.

If you remove the parts from the car and drop them off at a dealer I would bet you are looking at $150 - 200 including new bolts. Good luck

Antiseeze everything when you reassemble!

I was able to remove the broken caliper bracket bolts today by heating them up with a MAPP gas torch until they were glowing red, then wrenching them out with vise grips. No such luck with the steering knuckles, I could drill them out and re-tap them, but I forgot to mention that the ball joints are seized into them as well and I tried heating them and then beating them to no avail. Even if I were to continue the heat cycles and hammering and succeed in removing the ball joints and then drill out the broken bolts, I really wouldn't be comfortable putting them back on the car after the abuse I've already put them through. Anyone who lives in an area where they salt in the winter should take these pieces off and lubricate everything so you don't wind up in the same situation.

P.S. Newscooby, I see you live in Hellinois as well, that would explain why you had the same problem, F-ing winter. I always anti-seize everything I work on, but I just bought this car this June with 60K on it and it looks like nothing up front had ever been apart. Interestingly enough, when I installed my UP and DP a couple months ago, everything came apart effortlessly.

Archived