LegacyGT.com

Heated Seats in '06 2.5i-only an OEM switch away??

There were two threads a few years back about heated seat elements already being in the seats of the Legacy 2.5i from the factory. All you need to do is buy the factory switch and wire them in. It seems Canada cars come standard with heated seats and the U.S./Canada cars have the same part number? Did anyone ever prove this right or wrong? Here are the threads.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6780&highlight=heated+seats

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27959

My wife would love heated seats in her 2006 Legacy 2.5i manual wagon SE and this would make life easy to make that wish come true.

Thanks...

Marc

• 1 year later...

don't quote me, but from what i have read, 2.5i SE does not have heating elements. But i am really not sure that anyone has really attempted..it seemed no one was willing to drop $100 or so for the switch to test this.

They established that there should be roughly three unplugged harnesses under the seat. One is balc which is more than likely for a passanger powered seat, which the SE does not have. Not sure what the others are for. Someone stated that they had called subaru and gave them there VIN number and was told they had the heating elements....not sure what to believe....guess someone will find out eventually

Are the unplugged harnesses coming from the seat, or the car?

If they're from the car, the car is probably pre-wired for heated seats. You'd just need the switch, and a seat with heating elements installed. This is the more likely case, as manufacturers often wire-up features that the car may not have as a cost saving measure. This way, they won't have to create multiple body-harnesses for different trim levels of the same vehicle.

Thats what my guess would be as well. Its funny you ask, some say they are coming from the car, others say seat. My money is from the car. There would be no reason for a wire coming from a non-powered seat like in the 2.5 passenger.

So it looks as though i need to purchase heated seats and a switch!?

Unless they changed them, there are no harnesses nor elements in the non limited seats. As shown in the pictures of the links you provided there are some coming from the car itself, but that is it.

You may as well just buy an aftermarket set, and have them installed professionally, for what you would pay to get the switches to get it to work.

You could swap the seats, but then the side airbags won't communicate with your SRS module, and has to be reset at the dealer for more $$$.

The seat heater harness should be in the car, but there is nothing in the seat, so there's nothing to plug into the harnesses.

There are lots of shops around that will install after-market heating elements into the Subaru seats for you.......I had the seats in my wife's Impreza 2.5i done a few years ago. Really nice...she loves them. A lot cheaper than buying a set of seats. :)

I'll help you out...

There is green plugs for the seat heaters.. small green ones. If you see one plug coming down by the seat buckle and one coming from the back of the seat bottom.. then they are in there. Of course they could be tucked somewhere. Don't be fooled by the other wires.. one is for the air bag, and two is for the seat belt buckle.

If the harness is in the floor, then you would also have to look for the harness in the console.

A lot of taking apart to check these things... Aftermarket heaters aren't that much moola... *BUT* if yes you are lucky, all the harnesses are there and all the heaters, then you're just a console and a switch away..

I am pretty sure that the 2008 2.5SE does not have the elements in them already, i just can't believe it. But i have been wrong before. if i get after market warmers installed can it be hooked up to an OEM switch? i would rather have an OEM look and feel!

so what i am getting is that it is possible either aftermarket (which is probably the easiest, and most affordable), or with swapping in some factory heated seats, but it would take alot more time and effort, and more money! Hmmmmm decisions decisions

• 8 months later...
i have removed the center console and installed the switch, but to my dismay there is nothing to plug the switch into underneath the center console. ANybody have any ideas? I know i resurrected this thread, but still curious, since i purchased the switch which came with a harness, but i cannot find where to plug it in at, anybody with experience, or do i just not have that ability?

The entire center console uses one wiring harness that plugs in at the back near the rear seat cupholders. I guess we'll call it the center console harness. That one plug has the wires for the cigarette lighter in the storage box, aux in (if equipped), and heated seats.

The heated seat switch plugs into a plug that is physically installed and wired to the center console. You would need to get a center console harness that has the heated seat switch option.

Then you have another problem though.... Will the body harness that runs to the center console harness have the wires for the heated seat switch already?

I have the harness that plugs the lighter adapter, and the aux in to the heat switch, but i could not find where to connect on the body harness, and if it is behind the cigarette adapter closer to the dash, how the hell do i get the current harness to reach, it is not very long!

The bonus of heated seats is that the relay is in the switch itself. Stop worrying about harnesses - make your own.

All you need a is a strong 12V source to the switches and then run wires from them to the seats. I am sure you can find a pinout in vacation pics for the switches. I did this way back in my 2001 RS with 02 WRX seats and it worked like a charm.

I understand that, like i said i have the switch, i would probably need a wiring diagram of the switch and what the pins, and i also have to figure out if my seats are already heated or not (doubtful that they are already). I am mechanically inclined to a certain extent, but not electronically inclined when it comes to wiring, so this sounds difficult to me, sorry

I understand that, like i said i have the switch, i would probably need a wiring diagram of the switch and what the pins, and i also have to figure out if my seats are already heated or not (doubtful that they are already). I am mechanically inclined to a certain extent, but not electronically inclined when it comes to wiring, so this sounds difficult to me, sorry

I doubt it as well, but looks for a cord (not yellow) coming from the seat that doesn't go anywhere (there should be one from the top portion that links up with it).

nevermind on the relay/switch part, looks like the 08 has a separate relay (see attached diagram).

Pages from 2008.pdf

So it sounds as though I am screwed. That wiring diagram looks like another language. If the relay is not in the switch, what should I do. If I have after market seat warmer put in, can I have them use the OEM switch? I have no idea where to go from here or if its even worth it.

Archived