LegacyGT.com

Ticking during 5th gear acceleration?

Omen

I installed the Kartboy short shifter last night and let me say that it is great. Now the only thing is that when driving to the work this morning on the freeway I was accelerating to pass this car while in 5th and I hear a faint ticking noise that I think is coming from the engine? I'm not really sure where it is coming from though.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the short shifter which I can't imagine it does but I don't remember noticing it before. Does anyone have a similar problem or know what it could be.

If I'm in 5th at 3k rpms and I accelerate I hear this ticking that is somewhat constant. tick..tick..tick...tick. It usually stops after I'm higher in the rpms. It almost sounds like when you put a baseball card in the spokes of a bike but on a much smaller scale. With the music on I don't hear it I have to lean forward and listen near the dash (right side). :confused:

Any ideas????? I'm lost and I'm just trying to find out if it is something I did. All I have done to the car as of now is the AVO air filter and the Kartboy SS.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

MIC

:mad: WHAT THE F**K!!! Now this shit is pissing me off. I tested this noise in all the gears and it only does when accelerating in 5th gear from 3k on. I don't think it is coming from the engine it may be in the dash but it is a ticking that keeps going as I accerate up to and past 80-90. I don't get it. It doesn't sound like a rattle but more like a ticking. Maybe the ticking is a rattle I don't know but it's so annoying.

I'm going to take it to the dealer but they are going to say they don't hear it because they can't take it past 65 and the noise doesn't start until 75ish. I'm going to have to live with this crap. Damn it! It's a such a minor thing but little by little it is killing me and annoying me. And now that I have no idea how to stop it, it is killing me even more.

Sorry I have to vent as I hear it on my commute all the way whenever I accelerate.

I have the same sound, it's some plastic crap in the dash tapping something, sounds like it's right under the vent. I've taken panels off and wiggle stuff, I'll do it again. I guess my advice would be to try to get in there and find a loose harness. This sux!

it will go away for a few hrs and then come back.

Folklore answer: It's the underdash troll tapping on your windshield with his little hammer until it eventually cracks. Not being sarcastic...this has happened to our '00LGT twice. Just keep saying nice things about your LGT and he'll leave you alone.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

So this is not an engine issue right? Just something tapping somewhere in the dash? As long as it is just something in the dash I'm okay with it. While annoying at least I know that it is not harmful and I can take some time to just try and find it.

Thanks...And by the way it is not the troll because I already found him and I....:argue: ... Already had some words with him. He will not be hammering anything anymore:lol:

No the wipers were not on. It's funny because I can't tell it it is coming from the upper right side of the dash or if it is more towards the center. It is one of those noises that is hard to tell where it originates from. The thing is, if it is something vibrating why would it only do it in 5th gear from 3k on? It is just so weird.:confused:

Mine does not go away. If I'm coasting in 5th at 3k or higher it does not do it. It only does it when accelerating in 5th at 3k or higher and it does it every time for as long as I am accelerating until about 95 then it kind of stops. It does it whether I mash on it or whether I gently gas it from 3k on. I don't get it.

Found it. The ticking or vibration is from the shifter. I had my girlfriend listen and confirm it. Is this a bad thing? It did it right after I installed the KSS. I don't mind it that much just don't want it to be a bigger issue.

Archived