LegacyGT.com

Will Subaru fix my interior if I'm over 36mo but under 36K?

YouAreABus

Part of my door panel insert on the right rear door popped out and the lip was sitting on the armrest I pushed it back in with a credit card, but now it has a wrinkle and is messed up looking. Also, there is some looseness in my left rear window, I can wiggle it more than the others and it rattles when I close the door. I believe the "in service" (?) date of my car was 6/'05 so I'm pretty sure I'm over the 36 months, but the car only has 33,900 miles. Can anyone tell me if Subaru will fix these couple issues? I also have a few mods (UP, DP, tune, tranny cooler) but none that would affect either issue. What do you think?

Part of my door panel insert on the right rear door popped out and the lip was sitting on the armrest I pushed it back in with a credit card, but now it has a wrinkle and is messed up looking. Also, there is some looseness in my left rear window, I can wiggle it more than the others and it rattles when I close the door.

I had the exact same problem with my rear passenger door also. I didn't bother with the dealer though. I actually replaced the leather insert it with a black suede insert. IMO it looks pretty good, but I am just testing things out at this point to see what I like and testing the durability.

The window is pretty easy to tighten up on your own. It'll probably take about a half hour the first time, 5 minutes each subsequent time.

I had the exact same problem with my rear passenger door also. I didn't bother with the dealer though. I actually replaced the leather insert it with a black suede insert. IMO it looks pretty good, but I am just testing things out at this point to see what I like and testing the durability.

The window is pretty easy to tighten up on your own. It'll probably take about a half hour the first time, 5 minutes each subsequent time.

I actually thought about doing something similar with a dark blue suede, but if I did one door, I would want to do all four. Got any pics or maybe a quick walkthrough?

I certainly don't have a problem working on my own car, any pics of this, details, or know where I can find a free service manual online so I know what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

I can take some pics when I get home. At first it seems a little scary taking out the insert b/c there are rubber/plastic rivets holding it in that you have to burn off. To reattach the door panel pieces, I just used little half inch wood screws and washers. Once you do it, you should be fine. An unexpected added bonus is that it no longer has that Subaru "clunk" when I shut the door.

The thing with those rubber/plastic rivets is that they are actually a part of the trim. Screwing it back together was the only/easiest thing I could think of, but you'll see what I'm talking about if you go for it.

Here's the pics...on my inserts I wanted to try doing a stitched diamond pattern so I used a couple layers of poly fill (and yes they are different patterns on different sides lol) to give it more of a 3D effect. I think it turned out good enough for my first time. I don't love it nor do I dislike it, but IMO it looks better than the faded panels and inserts I had.

I'm just testing out different options to see what I like. I want to see how it all holds up over the winter. You'll probably notice that I covered the top part of the door panel in the suede too. It's holding up well so far for the three months its been on there. The back is thick enough to prevent the glue from coming through. I did notice however that on cold mornings that the fabric will bunch up a little bit.

Eventually in the spring I will probably do the inserts in black leather, it's just very expensive. The suede cost me 15 bucks for 8feet at Wal Mart.

I think they look better in person and in natural light

Passenger side:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/jjbhoops/IMG_1072.jpg

Driver side :

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b209/jjbhoops/IMG_1073.jpg

I'm a pretty competent guy, I just get intimidated jumping right in. They turned out great! Did you just use carpet adhesive in an aresol can? If I sprayd the whole piece would the fabric go down smoothly? My car has the black interior and I was thinking a dark blue suede to complement the exterior. Similar to the GT Spec-B WR:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1347457

But without the seats, and the darker blue will make it not so predominate, which I like.

Yeah I think the dark blue would look very good. I used a tacky glue on a recommendation from two old ladies in the store. They said they like it better than the spray on glues. When you buy your suede, make sure you buy a lot more than you need. Sometimes the same color on different batches don't match the color perfectly.

If the weather holds out today, I'll pull off one of my door panels and take some pics. Hopefully, I can write up a walk through before Sunday.

Just an idea, check out your area to see if you have an embroidery shop nearby. Maybe you could get a STi or Legacy GT logo embroidered on there.

BTW have you seen this thread? http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99138

That all will depends on your dealer and how good of a customer you are to their Service Dept. If you have all your services done with them or a good service customer(notice how I did not say parts, because service makes nothing off parts counter sales) and they can self authorize, they should be able to help you out.

Now if you haven't done anything, they are most likely to tell you no.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Archived