LegacyGT.com

HID kit comparison tests with measurement data

bugblatterbeast

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny you should ask as I'm a electrical engineer and do RF design for a living.

I haven't tested any of the offerings for EMI/RFI as I didn't think anyone would be interested in the test results. I do have access to an certified FCC test chamber and most of the equipment needed to do an on car measurement. I can do on car measurements of the setup I currently have installed but I'll probably refrain from testing other setups on car because it would be too much of a PITA to do so. I have the following units on my shelf which I could do bench testing on : Prolumen old 35W, Prolumen Slim 35W, Apexcone old 35W. For an on car I can measure the new Prolumen 50W.

If you look at the input current waveforms I posted, you can get a very rough idea as to how much filtering was done at the input of the ballasts. You won't be able to easily tell the frequency of the noise as I did a time domain measurement but you can bet that a cheap ballasts that doesn't filter the low frequency noise will likely have not added any high frequency filtering.

As a general comment, I wouldn't expect that any of the aftermarket kits have actually gone through certification (even if they claim they have). Time in a sanctioned lab is $10000-$30000 per day. A typical set of compliance tests will run a day or two. That being said, there are many optimizations an EE can do to the product to get good noise performance even without certification. They just wouldn't be able to prove it easily.

OEM car electronics is also, for the most part, very EMI immune. I would still avoid running the HV leads anywhere near a wiring harness (main, air bag, abs etc). When installing a kit, it is also good to keep the supply and return leads as paired as possible. This minimizes the available loop area for noise to leak off of. Conducted line noise is pretty easily filtered but till I make a measurement on some ballasts I can't really recommend a filter structure.

Hey bugblatterbeast,

Have you had any time to conduct any testing for on HID Ballasts yet?

I have found only Siemens and Philips test results on a European Lab web site. Nothing for any other manufacturer even though they all claim EU EN EMC compliance!

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Archived