LegacyGT.com

So the RE92's aren't all that bad...

Guest *Jedimaster*

Guest *Jedimaster*

I did a little accidental off roading on the way to work this morning. I was trying to remove a piece of nicotine gum from its' wrapper (why do they make it so hard for someone who's fiending for a smoke to get their product out? :lol: )and went a little off the road- right toward a pond which is not quite frozen after the last couple weeks 50 degree weather :eek:

At any rate, I was impressed with how well the tires did in the wet mud- the car went right back on the road with no problems! They may not be great for handling, but they saved my azz :lol:

RE-92s are not Bad Tires... they are just not all that great either.

Seconded. I've driven on RE-92s for a good part of the past few winters, and they aren't too bad... just don't expect tremendous amounts of grip in any situtation.

Shit yeah! I never thought of it that way :lol: Looks like I better grab some Marlboro Light Menthols before I have a REAL problem :lol:

I quit 6 months ago cold turkey. Yeah at times I tore some people a new one for no reason from the withdrawal, but I can say I feel a lot better from quitting. Just expect to be severely irratible for a while.

- Mike

Yeah, I'm def. going to replace the 92s when they wear out though. I just don't see the need to junk a tire that should get me many thousand miles worth of tread.

I wouldn't go much below half tread, after that they are treacherous in the wet from my experience.

Dave.

They are fine, as long as you don't out drive your tires. I know the temptation is tough in such a fast car, but if you drive under the limits of the tire, you're totally fine.

That's fine for everyday driving but what about emergency situations? That's where they'll bite you. An extra 40' of stopping distance can mean wrecking your car or worse.

Get rid of them and buy the best tires you can afford; they will not only transform your car, they will make you and your passengers safer.

Those 4 little patches of rubber between you and the road are the single most important safety factor on your car. More important then all those airbags and seat belts and ABS and VDC.

I've done extensive driving with a wide variety of tires, from summer only to dedicated winter to "performance all-seasons" in a lot of conditions. I've driven on summer only tires in a freak snowstorm, plus using winter tires on warm dry pavement. I never had a problem in any situtation, as long as I was concious of how much or little grip the tires have. I personally think its more important to know the limits of your tires then to buy new tires and assume you'll be okay. You could actually do much worse then RE92s -- for example my set of Kuhmo 712s, just as much grip in the warm as RE92s, but no grip under about 50 degrees. Rain or ice? Forget driving.

Yes, RE92s don't have much grip. Yes, I will be replacing them with new street tires (and winter tires and auto-x tires and track day tires eventually). But, that doesn't mean I think they are bad tires.

And now a mildly humorous cliche:

http://neurosybir.net/sybir/re92%2520poster.jpg

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have some sitting on my desk at this very moment.... :D

BASTARD!!! :lol:

I'm having a fairly easy time of quitting, you know, besides almost sinking my car this morning. I quit for 5 years once and one day woke up and went to Cumby's and bought them like I never stopped :confused:

Well, but that is just like saying: "I'm OK with drum brakes, because as long as I drive within their limits, they stop me just fine".

Sure they do, but if I can get much better then that, and be safer, why wouldn't I?

After one emergency stop on wet pavement I ran to the tire store and replaced my RE-92s. And it was the best "mod" I could do to my car. Now it's quiter, handles better, and I feel a whole lot safer.

I quit 6 months ago cold turkey. Yeah at times I tore some people a new one for no reason from the withdrawal, but I can say I feel a lot better from quitting. Just expect to be severely irratible for a while.

- Mike

But, unfortunately, he now has a gambling problem. :lol:

Archived