LegacyGT.com

Both headlights out... don't know what's wrong

jrfroe

I'm having a problem with my 2006 Legacy GT. I turned on my car tonight, and I saw darkness in front of me. It turns out my low-beam headlights (both of them) were out. High beams and fog lights worked fine, and I didn't notice anything else not working. I checked all the fuses associated with the headlights both under the dash and under the hood, and didn't find anything blown, even though I'm not totally sure exactly what I was looking for. I did have a blown fuse for the cigarette lighter that I've been ignoring for some time now, but I'm pretty sure that probably doesn't have anything to do with it.

Lights are stock and I haven't done any electrical mods or anything. I did replace both bulbs a few months ago, and checked one to make sure they both didn't burn out at the same time by some weird coincidence.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem?

well, I drove 4 hours last night with duct tape over the top half of the high-beams in order to not totally tick off all the other drivers I pass. It didn't work all that well since a lot of light reflects upwards off the bottom part of the headlight case, but it was better than nothing. There were only 2 or 3 the whole trip that actually followed me with their high-beams in retaliation. The more I think about it, I'm thinking that the problem might possibly be with the switch on the steering column, since it seems to be the only place where both sides have wiring in common (separate fuses and relays for both left and right everywhere else). Is anyone here familiar with how the lighting is wired, or with how difficult it is to replace that particular switch?

Its looking more like I'll have to end up bringing the car into the dealer, which is never cheap.

I just put two bulbs in my dad's outback. It was bulbs. I could not beleive they both went out at the same time.

that was the 2nd thing I checked after they went out after I checked the fuses. The bulbs are only a few months old and the filiment is unbroken in the one I checked (the other one is under the air intake which I didn't want to mess with again). I just bought a Chilton manual, so I now have the wiring diagrams and everything. I'm thinking it might be a bad daytime running light relay since it appears that power to the low beams goes through it. I'm not sure how it tells whether you have the DRL's on or the reg low beams on, but I think it has something to do with the DRL control module, which could also be the culprit.

I think I'm getting a bit more understanding of the whole system now, so I'll see what I can find.

Okay..... I feel really stupid now..... when I said I checked the bulbs, I really meant that I "checked the high beam bulbs thinking they were the low beam bulbs". Turns out they were both burnt out. Apparently when you change your bulbs and go to a higher wattage, they wear out quicker, and now that I think of it, they both had to go out after going down a bumpy gravel road during the day when I wouldn't have noticed them. Maybe I should go to HID's next time they go out in another 5 months?

• 4 years later...
52,000kms. It's unbelievable, both my low beams went out at once and when I checked it was both the globes had gone at once. Never has this happened on any other vehicle before, I’ve ordered a HID conversion kit over the net, hope that works well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived