LegacyGT.com

Colorado help with Clear Corners and Xenon...

03Indigo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it seems from the pic on their front page that, 4300K is their weakest HID... even the freaking 10,000K looks more powerful! this is very different from what i have learned... :( have you seen their 4300K in person?

This Space For Rent

it seems from the pic on their front page that, 4300K is their weakest HID... even the freaking 10,000K looks more powerful! this is very different from what i have learned... :( have you seen their 4300K in person?

Power does not mean more light. White is the most useful light for night, where the blues and purples are less useful without filters on glasses. If you want the best light dispersion on the road, go for the white end, ie, 4300 or 4600, if you want increasing bling factor when other people see your car, go for the higher end such as 8000K and 10000K. It has to do with light frequency and what our eyes can see...and we see better with white lights over the blue or purple lights.

So, you have to make that decision, Super Rapper MTV Cribs bling...then go 10000K, if you want the best visibility for the buck, go 4300K. Simple as that.

OK, so I will order a kit in the 8000 range... since I have a Regal Blue GT LTD 5-MT. While the whites are probably better for visibility, I think the blue on blue would just look great.

If 03Indy recommends the HID Express L.L.C. in California, that is enough for me to order the kit for there. Now, I am a MAJOR NOVICE when it comes to mods... have done one in my life and it was very simple (clearing out side markers.) So I will need some guidance. Any volunteers? I am in the Springs and get every other weekend to mess around, including this upcoming weekend.

Simpletons, Indigo... what's say we make a date and I'll cook the steaks? http://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

I would be happy to help, although I never have weekends off. So weekends are always out for me. if you can spare a week day, I would be happy to help you out, and might even consider a tirp to the springs.

FYI, I think the 4300K will look fine with blue....Audi and Porsche are OEM 4300K, and even though they are "white", they still appear blue. BMW uses I 6000K I believe, but maybe also 4300K. Anything above that, you really gain no advantage from the expense, might as well stay with the halogen projectors. So, all you gain is Bling factor, and what is the point in a mod that serves no real purpose? But that is just my opinion. I would shoot for 4300k or 6000K. Look at my pics again, and compare that light to the fog lights and the high beam that is on...you can see how blue it is...and that is 6000K.

cheers

jon

When it comes to headlights I think it is more important to see where you are going than to look cool. 8000K lights would be practially useless on a rainy night. Fog lights won't even help if you don't have headlights. I would always go with function over bling. Don't spend hundreds of dollars for lights that you can't see with.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

When it comes to headlights I think it is more important to see where you are going than to look cool. 8000K lights would be practially useless on a rainy night. Fog lights won't even help if you don't have headlights. I would always go with function over bling. Don't spend hundreds of dollars for lights that you can't see with.

I hear ya cluckin' big chicken!!!! My thoughts exactly...and put so well!!!

I was under the impression even if you went up to 10K that you would actually be improving light over the factory HAL bulbs. I take it from your posts that this is not the case? :confused:

You are correct, the best improvement is 4300-4600K, 6000K and above are just bling factor, and overall visibility gets worse as the Kelvin goes up.

I really liked the vis with my Xenons I had in my S2000 ... OC, I thought I saw yous son had one of those... Do you by chance know what the Kelvin was on those bulbs?

I will do some online searches, just thought maybe you'd know off the top of your head.

The visibility is like a long curve on a graph. The peak of the graph is the 4300-5000 range. Below or above that and you actually get less usable light. More color and less light.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jngrbrdman/ColorSpectrum.jpg

Click the pic for more info. That is from the Sylvania site.

Edit: Mine are 4600. very bright white with just a hint of HID blue. I love em.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

ok, here is a question for someone, I know I can search for this, but if someone has a quick answer as this seems to becoming the Colorado Lighting thread.....

Where can I get some Sylvania Silver Stars for the fog lights, and what bulb is that? H4?

When I do a search on the Sylvania.com website for dealers in the local area, I come back with Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, Checker, Pep Boys... etc.

They also give a number to call for Sylvania Automotive Lighting Dealer Questions...

1-800-347-3420. Most likely Zip Code Based.

Our fogs are H3 I think. You can get them at Checker. I've seen em at PepBoys and AutoZone too. H3s they may have to order, but they can get em.

OK, I guess I should specify, I have an outback...since the outback and legacy have such different fog lights, size and one is reflector, the other is projector, I wonder if the bulbs are the same. Maybe I should just take them apart and find out, hehe :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I have an OBXT and i have been thinking of putting xenons in mine as well. does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this? I have also heard problems of the HIDs melting the housing for the bulbs. Im new to trying to retro fit HIDs in the housing. If anyone can clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this?

search and find you should.

I have also heard problems of the HIDs melting the housing for the bulbs.

heard from where?

Im new to trying to retro fit HIDs in the housing.

you mean you are gonna replace the projectors?

This Space For Rent

I guess i should have gone into detail more. What everyone else has done to their cars for using the Plug and Play HID kits. I want to do the same. I have heard that our " Prejector " style headlamps arent designed correctly for High Intensity Discharge bulbs. That is where i previously said " i have heard that it could melt the housing for the bulbs" I would like to change my bulbs to xenon, ( i have driven a car that had xenon, and i loved that car, the way the bulbs light up the road, i miss having that ). That is why im trying to figure out if it is worth the money to buy a plug -n- play kit for my outback. Does anyone know approx. how long the bulbs have lasted in everyones car? I want to do this, but im affraid of what could happen.

05 OBXT LTD

A high-quality plug-&-play HID kit shouldn't melt the housing or anything (most HID kits are 35watts vs the stock halogen at 50w or so). When people say the stock housing isn't designed for p&p HID they mean you won't get the best possible light output, but 99% of the people who installed p&p HID on the current generation Legacy/Outback agree that they can see better at night, as for the 1% who don't (ibwinky :lol:)... I say forget them.

Some members here have already had their stock halogen bulbs replaced under warranty a few times. That should tell you how durable they are. As for HID bulbs, I haven't read about any failed Philips blubs story (there is a reason why they are more expensive than other "brands") - they usually last 2000~3000 hrs.

I am more than happy to show you my Philips HID at night if you are willing to come to Westminster. :icon_lol:

This Space For Rent

Hi all, I have an OBXT and i have been thinking of putting xenons in mine as well. does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this? I have also heard problems of the HIDs melting the housing for the bulbs. Im new to trying to retro fit HIDs in the housing. If anyone can clear this up for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

I have the Xtec HID's (4500k 35 watt) plug and play kit. They are honestly my favorite mod on the car!

I used these instructions:

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/H7%20HID%20kit%20install.htm

They look confusing at first, but as you walk through the install it all falls into place. It took about an hour total.

Here my car with the HID's installed and ion yellow fogs :icon_bigg

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/9793/hid32bn.png

I am more than happy to show you my Philips HID at night if you are willing to come to Westminster. :icon_lol:Today 01:20 PM

I would have no problem with that. Since i live in arvada. Maybe at some point i will do that.

RockyMtnGTQuote:

Originally Posted by n888aw

Thanks

I have the Xtec HID's (4500k 35 watt) plug and play kit. They are honestly my favorite mod on the car!

I used these instructions:

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/H7%20HID%20kit%20install.htm

They look confusing at first, but as you walk through the install it all falls into place. It took about an hour total.

Here my car with the HID's installed and ion yellow fogs :icon_bigg

How much did your kit cost you?

Thanks

A high-quality plug-&-play HID kit shouldn't melt the housing or anything (most HID kits are 35watts vs the stock halogen at 50w or so). When people say the stock housing isn't designed for p&p HID they mean you won't get the best possible light output, but 99% of the people who installed p&p HID on the current generation Legacy/Outback agree that they can see better at night, as for the 1% who don't (ibwinky :lol:)... I say forget them.

Some members here have already had their stock halogen bulbs replaced under warranty a few times. That should tell you how durable they are. As for HID bulbs, I haven't read about any failed Philips blubs story (there is a reason why they are more expensive than other "brands") - they usually last 2000~3000 hrs.

I am more than happy to show you my Philips HID at night if you are willing to come to Westminster. :icon_lol:

I dont have a problem with that. I will try at some point then.

RockyMtnGT - how much did your HID kit cost you?

Archived