LegacyGT.com

SI -drive

damascus

i still think the "I" will give better MPG. STOCK, which is how it was intended.

once modified or ECU changed with an accessport, as most seem to have done here, things change.

both those articles provide good reads, and good info.

but since one is a Subaru site... and the other says "Press Release"

I will bet that someone will say it's all hype by Subaru, so it's not to be trusted at all. :lol:

so we will be back to the "it's just a gimmick" discussion. :rolleyes:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not persuaded, despite the "authoritative" claims made here, that the SI-Drive has control over the 5EAT's shift points.

Because the SI-Drive does alter the behavior of the DBW throttle settings, and the throttle has some control over shift points (drive like a Grandma and it'll shift like one; get on it in any SI-Drive setting and it'll hold gears longer), there's no doubt that the transmission feels different in the different SI-Drive settings.

But to suggest, as has been done here, that the SI-Drive somehow alters the TCU's behavior needs verification before I'll believe it. HPH

since i own an 07 gt with an auto and si drive...in i mode it will shift at ~5500 rpms when floored. s and s# is at around 6200 in d mode. 6500 in manual.

if you want to argue about something you dont have nor experience with you are in the wrong thread.

i still think the "I" will give better MPG. STOCK, which is how it was intended.

once modified or ECU changed with an accessport, as most seem to have done here, things change.

both those articles provide good reads, and good info.

but since one is a Subaru site... and the other says "Press Release"

I will bet that someone will say it's all hype by Subaru, so it's not to be trusted at all. :lol:

so we will be back to the "it's just a gimmick" discussion. :rolleyes:

wrong again. i was stock and am now stage 1. nothing changed except more power output. at least in manual mode my i goes to redline. i havent double checked it in D. stock it was 5500 wether manual or d. i already started a dead thread in rallitek questioning this but no answer.

gimmick i think for the manual guys. for the auto it's works.

please only post an "opinion" or fact" if you have actually experienced it. it would make this forum's information a LOT more accurate.

thank you.

wrong again. i was stock and am now stage 1. nothing changed except more power output. at least in manual mode my i goes to redline. i havent double checked it in D. stock it was 5500 wether manual or d. i already started a dead thread in rallitek questioning this but no answer.

gimmick i think for the manual guys. for the auto it's works.

please only post an "opinion" or fact" if you have actually experienced it. it would make this forum's information a LOT more accurate.

thank you.

i think i'll just record the damn gauge as i go between S# and I and show the MPG go up and down at same speed.

wait... nevermind. i'll be putting "opinion" into that video. somehow my opinion will magically make the display go up. :rolleyes:

i love how you attack me.... and say i'm wrong. YET state this:

gimmick i think for the manual guys
wait a second here..... you THINK???? you bring YOUR OPINION into your attack on me stating my opinion... :lol:

I love how people can shoot themselves in the foot without knowing it.

OK. first off, yeah i know... bad video.

I start out in S#, and switch to I mode. as you watch the vid the MPG gauge shoots up to 32mpg at one point, in I mode it fluctuates from 30.5mpg-32mpg. i then hit S# again, and as you watch (i know it's bad, its at night with zero planning except the quick drive) it goes DOWN to 27.8 at one point.... and note the speed does not change. the tach rarely moved either.

again, it's crap quality. 16mb vid. maybe i'll take another vid during daylight if i have too. Opinion and all... :lol:

MOV00234.flv video by thebacklash - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://vid100.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/thebacklash/MOV00234.flv@@AMEPARAM@@vid100@@AMEPARAM@@100@@AMEPARAM@@m11/thebacklash/MOV00234

http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m11/thebacklash/?action=view&current=MOV00234.flv

if you want to argue about something you dont have nor experience with...

Our Outback has the 5EAT in it, so I have SI-Drive experience with both the auto and manual versions.

And while the S# mode "holds" lower gears to higher revs, my comment is that it may be due to the connection between the throttle and the transmission rather than a direct link between the SI-Drive and the transmission. That is, with the right use of your foot, you can get the transmission to hold the lower gears to higher revs in S-mode as well. HPH

Okay, everyone take a step back here, take a deep breath, and realize the OP before everyone gets fussy ;):)

For those of you with SI-Drive - do you actually need to keep it in Sport Sharp or Sport to get all the boost out of the motor? Is there anyway to choose SS as the default mode upon start up?

I'm looking at 07 models but don't want to shy away from the 05's & '06's if the SI-Drive is a pain-in-the-ass. thanks for your input.

So first off, this question could be "geared" toward anyone with an 07+, MT or AT.

Secondly, I think the OP has had all his original questions answered. People are more debating the technicalities now.

Third, some people are talking about tuned cars, some stock, your not comparing apples to apples necessarily if you modify the stock maps.

To Richard, while you may have alot of good information to contribute, if you give it in such an authoritative manner as "I'm right and you're wrong" than it does no one much good. A different approach would be to take these "misguided views" and explain technically why you think that it's misguided, thus also adding more to the information in the forum.

You say in one post that I mode redlines, then your next post you say I mode tops out at 5500 rpm after your Stage I upgrade, but you say Backlash is wrong for saying map changes may modify the effects of SI-Drive? You also say in that same post, that "nothing changed except more power", but then you elaborate that in fact, the RPM's that I-mode holds changed with your stage1 map. :spin: See where it gets confusing. ;)

Cloud: I see what you're saying, that in S mode with the right foot movement you can get it to hold the gear as long as in S#. You may well be right. I guess a test would be put it in S and FLOOR IT, then put it in S# and FLOOR IT and see where it shifts. If there is some actual limitation via SI-Drive rather than throttle response, you should see S mode shift a bit sooner like Richard eluded to in one of his prior posts (6200 vs 6500). Although the graph and technical article does in fact seem to infer there is something going on with the TCU during SI-Drive.

Another characteristic that may be tougher to test indefinitely is that under harder acceleration, the claim is that S# would actually perform gear changes faster than in S mode (obviously a non-factor in a manual).

Another excerpt from the Drive article:

Choosing a mode sends signals to the vehicle’s body control module. From there, wiring carries signals almost instantaneously to the engine’s and automatic transmission’s electronic control units. The SI-DRIVE settings change the control units’ programming (mapping).

Programming changes modify engine torque characteristics by adjusting how engine and transmission components function. These components include the electronic throttle, fuel delivery system, ignition, turbocharger wastegate, and automatic transmission response.

So I'd have to believe that SOMETHING happens in the TCU based on the SI-Drive mode (in AT).

wow! i just drove an '07 LGT automatic. i was very impressed with the 'pulling' power. and coming from a history of GTO's in my youth, to SVT Mustang Cobra's and lately BMW M3's - that's something! i did think that there was a difference between the 3 'drives'. the "I" drive was just a relaxed drive - not very responsive. The "S" drive was my style - very responsive with the turbo arriving on-time. The "S#" was a bit unpredictable for me... very touchy. \

follow up question for those who have driven/owned both 05-06 and 07-08 LGT's: i really enjoyed the "S" mode in the 2007 LGT. does the throttle response in the 2005 and 2006 LGT's feel most like the "S" setting in the 2007 + cars?

Archived