LegacyGT.com

Sudden power loss?

Has anyone ever had this problem? I was just about to make a right turn when the engine cut out and all the lights went out. I saw the battery indicator flash for just a second. I put the car into park and turned the ignition and it started up again fine. Drove the rest of the way home with no problems. Turned off the engine and started it up again and it seemed fine. No warning indicator lights. I thought it might be the battery, but if it was drained or malfunctioning, one would think I woudln't be able to start the car up so easily.

Any suggestions?

The battery losing connection shouldn't make the car stall if the alternator is working properly.

Sounds like it just stalled. It happens sometimes... to ANY car. If it keeps happening or you can make it happen at will, then you need to get it checked out. Otherwise, forget it ever happened. Especially since it started right back up with no problems.

If you are modded at all, it's even more likely that it simply just stalled.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Thanks for the replies. I checked the battery terminals and everything seems to be connected. I have no engine mods, only changed the exhaust. I never knew an automatic could stall. At least, not when it is just moving at slow speed.

At first, I thought it could have been that I just had too many things turned on that might have drained the battery....climate control, cd player, headlights, wipers.... but then, i've driven with them all on plenty of times.

btw, how does one go about cleaning the battery terminals safely?

Thanks for the replies. I checked the battery terminals and everything seems to be connected. I have no engine mods, only changed the exhaust. I never knew an automatic could stall. At least, not when it is just moving at slow speed.

At first, I thought it could have been that I just had too many things turned on that might have drained the battery....climate control, cd player, headlights, wipers.... but then, i've driven with them all on plenty of times.

btw, how does one go about cleaning the battery terminals safely?

stock tune is a pos.

went to tap the gas to leave the garage...shake rattle and roll....

the worst was when i went to leave a light and it shook a LOT i look down and dash lights are starting to flicker. finally i just pressed the gas more and it went forward like normal.

Archived