LegacyGT.com

Is the Legacy GT too long?

I wouldn't say the car is too long, but I certainly wouldn't mind the shorter overhang bumpers on the JDM model. I like the way sport oriented cars have short overhangs and long hoods. The JDM bumpers are much more in line with the rest of the car's design.

Now, what I do feel is off is the width, of course a wider track would always be nice, but when looking at the car from behind, it seems very upright, largely because of the small width, but I imagine with a lower suspension that optical effect would be reduced.

Now you want a wide looking car - try the 3000GT/Stealth. Thats a big 2 door to begin with but its very low and wide looking, especially the stealth with its rear wing pushed forward on the trunk. (yes, i miss my GT, saw a black 98 on a car lot near midnight the other night and had to stop and look, too bad i'm already in debt with the leggy and can't justify a second car.)

Length 179.7

Width 72.4

Height 49.1

Wheelbase 97.2

Weight 3350

3.5" shorter or so from the front and rear bumpers

low weight is base GT form

280PS=276hp which according to Hansen is really around 245hp from his initial dyno testing.

It's not too long, but like others I would prefer a bit more width. I thought that the Japanese class limit was about 70", so I wonder why they didn't maximize width for its class. A reason could have been to cut weight.

I think its a little long, if they left the JDM bumpers on I think it would have been perfect, but the front and rear bumpers really make the car looks a little to stretched. Its not like we get any extra room from the extra 8 inches or so of bumper. I know its their for safety but I think they could have come up with something better.

I think its a little long, if they left the JDM bumpers on I think it would have been perfect, but the front and rear bumpers really make the car looks a little to stretched. Its not like we get any extra room from the extra 8 inches or so of bumper. I know its their for safety but I think they could have come up with something better.

And then the sport grill would fit properly, and no more Ford Taurus look!

3.5" shorter or so from the front and rear bumpers

low weight is base GT form

280PS=276hp which according to Hansen is really around 245hp from his initial dyno testing.

It's not too long, but like others I would prefer a bit more width.

Sorry, 3152 lbs in spec B form.. ooooooh!

Imagine if you made Elizabeth Hurley's face "a little" bigger on one side.. The difference between ugly and beautiful is very small.

That list is a 2.0 liter as well! Wow, 20% (2.0/2.5) smaller and 11% (250/280HP) more powerful than ours. What's up with that!? I'd really like that rear wiper too.

-JGR

I always wondered why Oz only got the 2.0 GT yet US get's the 2.5GT. Now I know why. Anyhow, I'm hoping they bring out a 3.0GT/STi turbo by the time I'm looking for a replacement ;):D

Sorry, 3152 lbs in spec B form.. ooooooh!

Imagine if you made Elizabeth Hurley's face "a little" bigger on one side.. The difference between ugly and beautiful is very small.

I agree about the bumpers. On the weight, isn't that cloth, no power seats, no moonroof, etc.? I also wonder if that is a dry weight.

well, with me (140 lbs) in the car in my GT-LM, and a full tank of gas, it came out to 3475.

[thinking to myself]

3475 - 140 = 3335 lbs (GT LM)

1 gallon of gas ~ 5 lbs, so full tank [16 gal] = 80 lbs

3335 - 3152 = 183 lbs difference {or 103 lbs compared in dry weight}

Moonroof = 40 lbs +/-

Difference in Power HEATED Leather Seats vs Manual Cloth = 30 lbs each +/- (60 lbs total)

Moonroof + heated power seats = 100 lbs +/- {same weight difference in dry weight difference}

My final word: Nothing that I can't do myself by gutting the car down

Note: JDM is 2.0 litre engine, USDM GT is 2.5 litre. I am sure 2.5 turbos can get more power than JDMs 280 bhp. Dont forget, USDM GT has a bigger/heavier front bumper beam, throw that out the window and drop another 60 lbs from up front. Dont get me started with detailed gutting and weight savings techniques.

Keefe

Keefe

Btw and getting back to the subject:

WRX sedan (wheelbase/length): 99.4"/173.8"

GT sedan (wheelbase/length): 105.1"/186.2"

Difference (wheelbase/length): 5.7"/12.4"

So are we debating/speculating about the overall length of the car or the wheelbase of the car? I really like the longer wheelbase for the smoother ride. I think the WRX is a pretty large for a small car. Both the Legacy and the Impreza are COMPACT cars.

-NTSHA classifications-

Mini compacts (wheelbases under 95 inches) (a.k.a. Economy)

Subcompact (wheelbases 95.0 to 98.9~ inches)

Compact (wheelbases 99.0 to 109.9~ inches) (a.k.a. Midsize)

Full-size (wheelbases 110.0 to 114.9~ inches)

Large (wheelbases 115.0 inches and over)

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/info.shtml#sizeclasses

Keefe

Keefe

Archived