LegacyGT.com

CEL showing Missfire on custom subaru

So let me bring this thread alive again.

I am still having a misfire in cylinders 3 and 4.

I have now seen the CEL code in both warm and cold weather

Its still only on the highway between 60 and 85 mph

I can give it gas or just let it coast in nuetral and it still blinks the CEL

It doesnt seem to shake or buck like there is ACTUALLY a misfire happening

The plugs and wires are only about 3 years old

New oil and filter

New fuel filter about a year ago

ran sea foam through the top end, the oil, and the gas

Have a new coil pack about a year ago (it was used but still looks in good shape)

I have looked on other threads and came across a few problems it could be...

1. head gasket - recently I had an over heating problem but I changed the thermostat and it seems to be fine

2. Oil Control Valvue- Not sure exactly what this does but its known to go bad in subarus

3.Plugs, wires, coil- obvious firsts I checked

4. The cat - Not sure exactly how this could through a misfire CEL but he said cats are known to go bad on subarus too.

I havent checked...

5. The injectors

6. the compression

7. Any type of sensor that would throw the car off such as a cam sensor or O2 sensor maybe

So have any of you guys fixed your misfires yet? have any other ideas to share?

• 1 month later...

So my next few thoughts...either the temperature sensor, cam sensor or O2 sensor. Im getting to the point where I should bring it to the shop and have them go over it for me. Im to that point where I could replace things all day without finding the problem....here are some of my recent thoughts....

Temperature sensor: Would cause the engine to think its warmer or colder then it actual is and chock the engine or run the fan at the wrong times. how would the engine know what cylinders are misfireing?

Cam sensor: it would tell the engine that the cams are in the wrong position when they are actual in the correct position. This would cause the car to run fine but confuse the computer which is what is happening to my car. It runs fine but says its misfireing (well at least from what I can tell. if two cylinders misfire the engine should shake a bit but it doesnt) Why would two opposing cylinders misfire and not the same cylinders on the same side?

O2 sensor: when I read the O2 sensor a while back with my computer the front sensor was up and down all over the place and didnt look accurate to the revs. But the back sensor was very proportional to the revs which mad sense. But if this was the problem how would the engine know its cylinders 3 and 4?

So new update...

I replaced the cam sensor and crank sensor. I have been running 93 octane at fill ups for the last three tanks. I havent had a check engine light yet but my dash gauge for heat keeps goig up to the top of the thermostat symbol and then back down again every so often. Only on the highways for the most part.

Is the thermometer change and CEL part of the same problem?

My next idea was to replace the temperature sensor and the thermostat one more time. If thats not it, Ill try to pull my radiator and have it flushed and cleaned incase its clogged.

Thats what I was kinda thinking but the problem only happens maybe once a week with the heating and the CEL hasnt come on in over a week or more now. If it was a head gasket I would assume it to happen more frequently.

The car only has about 80,000 miles. (it was my grandfathers car, and then sat in my garage when i was in college)

I also get fairly good gas mileage compared to others. Im getting about 23mpg average. sometimes 25 sometimes 21. If it was a head gasket I would assume I wouldnt have great compression and the gas mileage would suffer. The car isnt any weaker in acceleration then when I first got it. If anything it has more power.

I appreciate any pointers or thoughts though. Every day is a debate over what it could be in my head.

yeah I read more and ya your not turbo!! so there goes that out he window!! but ya did you clean and inspect every conecter and senser ?? sounds like that plus the heat gauge is a huge deal!! it leans and richens mixture like the mas air so if suddenly your car thinks its like 40-50 deg hotter it might lean out your mixture causing missfire or close to as you say it don't feel like its missing!? well thats all I can think without head gaskets thost Na 2.5"s are notorious for it!!!

Well the misfire has subsided for a little bit now. I have been noticing my temp is spiratic. It goes to the top of the little temp emblem and then to the bottom of the emblem. It will go up when I come to an idle but then drop again to normal when I take off. The idle goes down to 500 when I come to a stop then back up to 750.

This weekend I think Im going to replace the temp sensor, and then try to clean the EGR valve (if not just replace it). I might through in a new thermostat as well because they are easy ad cheap ( maybe I got a bad one). I will also try to put new radiator fluid in (becaues the last mixture might not have been a perfect 50/50. But before I drain it I will use radiator flush incase the system is clogged somewhere.

I just keep thinking to myself how can it be a head gasket when the car runs fine for almost 3 or 4 weeks and then happens a few times. Its so spiratic with the symptoms, thats what throughing me off so much. I havnet sen any radiator fluid in the oil yet, and my radiator fluid looks fairly clean.

Thanks for the help though. I go crazy thinking about all the posibilities day in and day out. I run around in circles in my head.

Well I just replaced the temp sensor. Took it for a highway run. And it did the same thing. I searched over heating and ran into millions of posts about Head gaskets. I think I have done my fair share of diagnosing, and trying to find another way around it. But more and more Im thinking its a head gasket. FML. I just did a full timing belt job too. I think a HG is too much work for me to do myself. Gonna have to bite the bullet I guess.

This could be the deciding factor in getting a new car....Whatta shame too. Everything else in this car is practically new.

Ever since I started using 93 octane I havent had a misfire CEL which I guess is good. Now its just the over heating thing thats pissing me off.

Ill let ya know if anything new comes about...

ya subies are a day by day car for sure mines different every time I drive it almost!! but ya look into air pockets in your coolant!!! that would do everything your saying!! more so than head gaskets!! well maybe?? I hear that those are quite hard to bleed out! so look into the overheating in this forum somewere! I had to bleed out between the engine and the heatercore to make it work right!!

Check the thermostat? I am about to change mine since I am now overheating, fluid coming out of cap and spilling to the overflow. I figure that overpressure due to thermostat sticking or stuck shut. Hell a 8 dollar part is worth changing out first!

ya subies are a day by day car for sure mines different every time I drive it almost!! but ya look into air pockets in your coolant!!! that would do everything your saying!! more so than head gaskets!! well maybe?? I hear that those are quite hard to bleed out! so look into the overheating in this forum somewere! I had to bleed out between the engine and the heatercore to make it work right!!

Just squeeze the hoses that are connected to the radiator when engine is cold. If you heat the coolant you are making the bubble smaller, making them hard to get out. Keep squeezing every couple of mins when you are adding coolant.

I already changed the thermostat a month or so ago when the temp shot up one day driving home. It would come down suddenly now and again and then pin back up. Those are more like symptoms of a thermostat. Right now the temp just goes up a bit, and then back down again.

From what I understand the super heated gasses coming from the head gasket leak heat up the coolant around the cylinder and cause the temp to read hot, then when the hot coolant reaches the thermostat it opens and lets in cold coolant again dropping the temp. Over and over again. When I run the car at 4k RPM's at 80mph on the highway then get in the slow lane the heat goes up hot and then down again. It will also raise when I am at an idle because the coolant isnt flowing as much.

I think Im going to take the thermostat out and put it in water on my stove. See if it works properly. Then Ill drill a small hole in it to let some water flow freely and help the temperature fluctuation just a bit.

Damn man sounds like you know what to check, but you still cannot find the problem. You are positive that you cannot see any fluid around the heads leaking out? The thermostat check is good start right now, since they are man made products they can have errors.

Well with the 97's from what I read says the head gasket leak is internal. The newer LGT have an external leak where the fluid is visable outside the eingine. The symptons I need to be aware of is exhaust fumes and smoke. Radiator coolant burning off, milky oil, temp problems, (which might also cause my misfire), funny idling problems and even stalling.

All similar symptoms to what I have. Im in the process of looking at new cars. I may be leaving my beloved subaru forum sooner than later. My subie is a great car for someone that wants to fix the head gasket and paint its in great shape otherwise. But I think its my turning point.

That sux man! Don't just give up and let the car defeat you! Break the cooling system down and then compare it with the symptoms. You would notice a headgasket problem (as I have read) so I would start to go away from that one.

Check water pump, pull t-stat, flush and refill (check for blockage), bleed air bubbles, check collant temp sensor, check heating coil, check all piping....

No going back to reading what you did so, if I can help let me know. I will have the manual out tomorrow doing mine, so if something pops out at me I will let you know! GL

hey thanks broski. I love the legacy forum here. Some nice guys. But so far, I replaced both radiator hoses, thermostat, temp sensor, cam sensor, crank sensor, fuel filter, plugs, wires, map sensor, coil pack, cooling system flush and new fluid twice, new water pump and gasket (along with full timeing belt kit), I have like 40 pages of forum walkthroughs printed out on my garage floor. I even put electroid greese on EVERY connector and electrical plug I could get my hands on!!!

I love my car. This subie has done me well and its heart breaking to see it go, but with the car prices out there its just that time for me. I wish I could find someone who loves it as much as I do because its a great car if it just had a little love. I replaced the front shocks and mounts (a grand), exhaust, intake, rims, interior, full infinity system, new head lights, custom paint, custom body, LED kit, tint all around, fully integrated subs in trunk, reverse trunk mounts, custom hood....This car has it all. It would be a great car if someone just wanted to fix the head gasket. I hate trading it in but its the best choice I think.

I got the mily coolant, overheating, hearing a knock/pop in the heads, so I am going to have my buddie the mechanic check it out to see if it is headgasket. Should only be about 50-75 bucks for the gaskets. I am going to make a DIY on sl-i.net if you need info. Hope you next vehicle is not a PIA!

Archived