LegacyGT.com

Body Shops in the 310

D_J

Got into my first accident tonight in my new Subie. Some chick told me she got "confused" which lane she was in and crashed into my door. She told me she'll pay with credit card or borrow money from parents.

Read some of the older threads...not sure if M2 in Santa Monica is way too expensive for her or Pipers on Motor Ave. is any good.

Beverly Hills Auto Body on Robertson x Venice is another I know of and Van Lingen's in Torrance.

The damage is only on the door and I'm estimating the damage to cost about $1000.

Appreciate any recommendations...don't want to end-up like the guy in San Clemente and get burned with cheap ass work.

not quite in the 310, but I had some work done to my suby at Duran's body shop in east la. They do good work and got the car back when they said they would. Also, I don't know if it's still there, but there used to be a shop named Waters on Motor ave in west LA. I had some work done there about 10 years ago. They did pretty good work. Hope that helps.

M2 was super expensive last time I got a quote from them (granted that was 4 years ago). I'd say just use the dealer shop, whoever that happens to be for SMS.

My parents have had good luck at Marina Auto Body in Marina Del Rey. I know they're the dealer shop for Toyota of MDR and I usually see lots of higher end cars there.

Make sure you dont get your door fixed, get it replaced!

Yes, I would tend to agree. However, when I got the door on my Honda fixed the shop didn't replace the skin. I later had to remove the door panel for a different reason and saw that the backside of the skin was very smooth and would appear that very little filler was used/needed. I was impressed.

M2 is out of business now I heard. Beverly Hills Body & Paint had a top of the line new Ferrari in the shop along with a Vette - good sign. Quote was $900 right around what I expected.

Regarding the door...yes I did some bondo work years ago on an old clunker. The door on my old car was severely dented so the cheap bondo job I did never looked right.

In this case...the door has only minor dings and dent...mostly damage to the paint. If the door got major dents I would replace...but I hope paint/refill is good enough? Plus the chick is trying to do this without insurance and I don't want my rates to go up either. The cop even recommended we do that anyways.

I'm guessing a new door would cost $2000 ??? Can the dealer even order that ???

M2 was super expensive last time I got a quote from them (granted that was 4 years ago). I'd say just use the dealer shop, whoever that happens to be for SMS.

My parents have had good luck at Marina Auto Body in Marina Del Rey. I know they're the dealer shop for Toyota of MDR and I usually see lots of higher end cars there.

Yes, I would tend to agree. However, when I got the door on my Honda fixed the shop didn't replace the skin. I later had to remove the door panel for a different reason and saw that the backside of the skin was very smooth and would appear that very little filler was used/needed. I was impressed.

BUMP - turns out that the Subaru dealer doesn't sell the outer metal door skin.

Subaru only sells the entire door shell, which means the cost is too high for the insurance adjuster to approve unless the door is virtually destroyed.

The problem also with replacing the whole door is that you lose the original factory sticker...which will probably kill the resale value.

The problem also with replacing the whole door is that you lose the original factory sticker...which will probably kill the resale value.

I doubt ANYONE would ever notice the door isn't the original one...unless it isn't paint matched well.

Hell, my accident/repair never made it on a Carfax report.

• 3 weeks later...
BUMP - turns out that the Subaru dealer doesn't sell the outer metal door skin.

Subaru only sells the entire door shell, which means the cost is too high for the insurance adjuster to approve unless the door is virtually destroyed.

Remember the insurance adjuster for her company exists solely to reduce how much money they pay you. They do not 'approve' your repair. If you have 3 bodyshop estimates that say the door has to be replaced and it's only available as a full door shell then their adjuster cannot (legally) refuse that.

If her insurance company gives you headaches then claim under you own collision coverage, get it fixed right and let your insurance company handle their adjuster.

Bear in mind that if their insurance won't pay up what the damage actually costs then you can still sue the drive directly. Dunno if you have this thing sorted out yet but if it's still ongoing then it may be worth paying a lawyer to write a letter to the driver/parents informing them that their insurance company is refusing to pay for all of the damages after accepting liability so you are forced to file an action directly against them.

Archived