LegacyGT.com

Clanking under the hood?

Alright, this one I really cant figure out. It's been getting colder out up here (high 20s-low 30s at night.) Once my car is warmed up and I'm sitting at idle, I can hear a faint clanking. clapping from under the hood. I can't tell if it's something rattling around or if it's something engine relation. (I'm used to rattles by now as a former VW owner.) The reason I don't think it's engine related is that it only occurs at idle (about 500 RPM on the tach.) It has no consistency or pattern to the sound that it makes, if it's even making it. Doesn't sound like lifter tick or rod knock. It's also pretty hard to hear, I'm the only one who has picked up on it. I know I would have noticed it there when I bought it. Any ideas? I've already checked, my VIN is before the stop sale.

i had the same "problem".. talked to the service department.. let me know that it is normal for new cars to make that sound.. the sound has something to do with the exhaust shield (or something similar to this) cooling down... with most cars Ive been in I can hear the same sound after shutting the car OFF.. buttt yeah.. and yes.. it did freak me out when I first started hearing it. so dont worry! :D

i had the same "problem".. talked to the service department.. let me know that it is normal for new cars to make that sound.. the sound has something to do with the exhaust shield (or something similar to this) cooling down... with most cars Ive been in I can hear the same sound after shutting the car OFF.. buttt yeah.. and yes.. it did freak me out when I first started hearing it. so dont worry! :D

Hmm, interesting, I have never heard of this "normalcy." In fact, no new car I have ever driven has made this noise. I think the sound you are referring to is the "pinging" noises that a car makes as it cools down. Those are indeed the metal heat shields, but that is not what this sound is. Those are more of a distinct sound than this is. Like I said, it SOUNDS like the noise a rod would make, but is too quit and doesnt match ANYTHING a rod knock would make. It's weird. Im thinking it could be something rattling under the hood? My VW used to have an occasional fuel line rattle that would sound like someone running outside on the pavement in high heels.

Archived