LegacyGT.com

Tmic and tune

DarkLegacy

I just bought a new TMIC from AVO. I have a stage 2 tune already and was wonder if I should not install the TMIC until I get me upgraded tune. I should have the new tune within a day or two... Will it do any harm to put on the TMIC without uploading the tune first or should it be ok?:confused:

anyone?

8 minutes?

You'll be fine, DL. I ran my TMIC for a couple days before tuning for it. No problem at all. My experience tells me there is very little to do in additional tuning in an already well-tuned stage 2 when going from stock to aftermarket TMIC.

My '05 LGT

My '07 Supercharged Shelby

Thank you for the advice!!!! I will install it and see how it goes...

It will go just fine, but you'll be disappointed if you expected any performance gain. It will be more sturdy and help with heatsoak in summer or vigorous driving, but it won't do a thing for your 0-60. I logged plenty before and after and I couldn't muster any additional airflow when I upgradeded. My timed 3rd-gear pulls were identical too. Still, it's a worthwhile upgrade as long as you're not paying $800.

My '05 LGT

even with a tune?

Yes. For stage 2 cars, aftermarket TMIC's are almost as over-rated as aftermarket intakes. The price to whp gained ratio with either is terrible and should not be the predominant reason for upgrading either. At least you get a huge increase in reliability with a TMIC and it will help you in heatsoak conditions (hot summer days, track, etc.) Just don't expect to drive away from your house (or tuner) and go "wow!"

My '05 LGT

thats a little disappointing but at least I will get some reliability out of it

If you plan on going with a different turbo than you was going to need a new tmic anyway. However you just narrowed your turbo options down tremendously. If you dont plan on upgrading your turbo than you should sell the TMIC and use the money somewhere else. PM me first if you want to sell the TMIC;)

Why would I need a new TMIC... I would need a FMIC if I am going to upgrade to a bigger turbo... Right? or am I wrong... I am still kind of a noob... learning as I go=)

Front mount open up your options for bigger turbos down the line (its also a more involved install). Top mount is good to have if planning on stage 2 as there have been a few ppl destroying their stock TMIC just by going stage 2. Plus as stated, it really does help with heatsoak in the summer.

Why would I need a new TMIC... I would need a FMIC if I am going to upgrade to a bigger turbo... Right? or am I wrong... I am still kind of a noob... learning as I go=)

The stock TMIC is pretty much maxed out at Stage I. They have blown apart on some people at Stage II. The perrin or AVO tmic would be o.k to run with say a AVO 380 turbo, and many people are pretty happy with that. Although dyno graphs show that a FMIC is able to get more power out of the AVO 380 i dont think you would hurt the turbo by running a good TMIC.

Archived