LegacyGT.com

Which audio set up to choose?

SubieBlkOut

So I just got my JL clean sweep unit and have been shopping for an amp. My goal is to eventually have a 10" sub in a box in the trunk and upgrade the speakers. I need your guys input on the amp though.

The options:

One 500+ watt amp with 5 channels to power the 4 speakers and the sub on different channels.

-or-

Two amps: 1x 200-400 watt 4 channel for the speakers and 1x 200+ watt amp for the sub

I have done a couple of sub/amp install before but never dual amps although it can't be that much harder. I mainly am looking for nice clean sound for mostly rock and roll with maybe some rap in there too.

The factors being cost, complexity, space, battery draw, and of course system reliability and SOUND!

I need some advice and input from the experts and those who have similar setups.

Thanks,

Sean

I recommend the Kicker zx700.5 You can find them on ebay for around $250. Great sound, good power, easy install. Had one in my rex running kicker ss components and a set of kicker coaxs in back with a kicker L5 and the sound was incredible wish i never sold it when i got my legacy. Just my .02

i would personally go with two amps, one to power the sub and a 4 channel for the highs, but thats just my opinion. I do like 5 channel amps for the ease of installation (one power, ground, remote and rca wire) but i've always had the best results with dedicated amps.

the only real difference with the two amps would be power and ground distribution blocks and possibly a 2nd set of RCA wires (some amps do have rca outputs so you can daisy chain them together). If you're using the spare tire well space shouldn't be a problem.

If you can swing it - go for a dedicated sub amp. I've always preferred dual-amp systems, but due to space constraints in my current plan I'm going to use a single 4 channel - front 2 channels stereo to the front stage, rear two bridged for the sub.

I just bought an Infinity Reference 5350a from a guy on NASIOC for $165. I think it is a pretty good deal. I went the five channel direction due to simplicity, cost and space. The amp puts out 50w X 4 and 150w X 1 for the sub. I think it should do pretty good. With this, my clean sweep, and the 10" sub in a box that I am picking up today, the system should sound pretty good and it only cost $430. Now I need to get some fronts and do some sound deadening.

Thanks guys!

h108R5350A-fp.jpg.cde4c28d4f2e19ded7c1d333f43badb3.jpg

Archived