LegacyGT.com

Buying advice?

Napping

Hi.

I found a car that I'm considering buying, but unsure of its value. It's 1998 Subaru Legacy L. It looks clean, no rust, no damage on outside or inside, 120k, but needs head gasket replaced. Dealer asks $1,895 (CAD), and is willing to perform the repair for additional cost ($500-$600). Is that a good deal, assuming that everything else is good?

Thanks

p.s. Sorry I posted this in wrong section. Realized there is a section for this kind of posts after already submitted..

The repair cost is pretty good. The Subie dealer I used to work for charged about 1k-1200 for head gaskets. See if you can get a CarFax and if no dice on that, at least see if they'll put together a repair history on the car. Maybe you'll be lucky and it'll have been serviced there over the years. Dates, parts, prices, repairs will all show up if they have it available.:dm:

It appears now that seller doesn't actually knows how much it would cost to repair it, so it very well might go up. On other hand seller doesn't mind dropping price tag to $1500 if we just take it as is. We'll consult our familiar mechanic about it and to find out how much he'd do it for.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually he'd just let us have the car for scrap cost, or free, because in two months that it was for sale, we are the first ones to look at it. That dealership is in an area, where nearly everyone drives GM or Ford and mostly trucks. Even the previous owner of the Legacy traded it in for a truck.

• 2 weeks later...
Ahhh.. While I waited for HG replacemnt kit to arrive by mail, the dealer sold that 98 legacy to someone else (((. But i still want a legacy. My current budget for buying a car is about 3k.. So it's back to search for me.

Archived