LegacyGT.com

crashed hard drive

silverfool

like the title says, a friend of mine had a hard drive failure and there was unfortunately, one important excel file which he failed to back-up elsewhere. so needless to say, he needs to get it back.

the drive failed to boot when powered up. he's more computer savvy then I am so I imagine he's already check the basics (i.e. power source).

anyone know much about data recovery? more importantly, anything in the OC/LA area?

Professional data recovery is typically expensive and without guarantee. I contracted the service several times (mind you this was years ago) and it reached as much as $800/gb - all depended on the level of fail. If there's any mechanical sounding noise, chances that the platters are toast is pretty good. If it just seems to be spinning quietly and not seeking - or seeking aimlessly - I've heard of a few good options. First, I've heard a computer nerd's version of a wives tale that if you put it in the freezer for a couple hours, you might get one last boot. Also, buying an identical drive (ebay) and swapping out the pcb board is a pretty cheap and reasonable option. It's an easy swap, and that board often contains the failed component. Make sure you're keeping in mind how much time it takes for your friend to recreate this file, and spend no more than 25% of that time trying to recover it. That's my rule of thumb, anyway. Also, I've found that most computer issues are karmic in nature; if all else fails, try going out and doing a good deed and then come back and try again. Best of luck to you.

I've used Ontrack Data Recovery before:

http://buyonline.ontrack.com/ecom/catalog.asp?cookie_test=1

The cheapest option they have is their data recovery software that allows you to recover 25 files for $89. It goes up from there. They also do remote sessions where they'll jump on your computer and recover for you, or you can send the drive in to them.

Sending the drive in runs $100 for them to look at it and they'll give you a report of what they can recover. If you have them recover anything, the minimum is in the $500-$800 range.

Archived