LegacyGT.com

Only Two Car Companies Have Increased US Sales This Year

Jon in CT

its a shame... i would love to have a turbo'd baja 5mt... i dont think they came equipped as such though... to bad... especially in todays market with people trading in their trucks, baja isnt a bad option for a small utility vehicle.... Can you fit a quad in a baja? if so im down...

and very interesting stuff comparing our new car market to the rest of the world...

:lol:

still "new" 04 bajas? probably about 30 nationwide. :lol: I NEVER see bajas on the road.

Its like they never existed.

I think they sold the Baja up through '06, even though it was never updated to the '05 Legacy body. Probably many were driven by dealer peeps. They're still considered "new".

Outback and Tribeca (ofcourse) are the ones bringing down Subaru sales the most. Perhaps the new Forester is actually cannibalizing former Outback/Tribeca customers since it seems to be the best choice of the three at the moment.

I dunno who would consider a baja an acceptable replacement for a truck. Unless they didnt need a truck to begin with and jut want to haul things that are tall and light in the bed.

I thought 04 was the last year they made the baja. I guess because they didnt update the look.

the forrester is a "best of both worlds" type vehicle between the outback and tribecca.. so it makes sense that it would eat sales a bit. Plus it looks more like an suv and less like a station wagon (sorry wagon guys, but some people still have the notion that "station wagons" are from the 70s and 80s and wont consider them in their purchase decision.) the tribecca may be too large for some people as well. Not to mention some are still not in love with the new fascia. My parents still dont like it. I think it looks worlds better and would drive one if it suited my needs.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I got very close to buying a Baja turbo 5mt last year, just before i found the legacy, i liked it but....it just doesn't make sense really, its trying to be everything at once even more so than the LGT wagon or the OBXT

Maybe they were trying to replicate the success of the BRAT.

Unfortunately, the Baja was a whole lot bigger and longer, and didn't include those jumpseats in the bed. Maybe that was the problem... no jumpseats.

• 5 weeks later...

CHERRY HILL, N.J., Jan. 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Subaru of America today announced a 0.3% sales increase for full-year 2008 sales over 2007. Driven by record results for its Impreza, Legacy and Forester model lines, Subaru was the only full-line brand with positive sales through November 2008. (Full-year results for other makers are not known at time of posting).

(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20080325/SUBARULOGO )

The year-over-year sales increase adds to the good news the company enjoyed in 2008: the Subaru Forester was named 2009 Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year and the company was awarded the title Automotive Marketer of the Year by Mediapost.com and the brand has performed well in Kelley Blue Book and ALG ratings.

Tim Colbeck, vice president of sales for Subaru of America said, "To post increased sales for the year the Industry has just experienced reflects the strength of our products, our dealers and the Subaru brand. In a difficult market we were able to establish new sales records for Forester, Impreza and Legacy sedan and also record our highest market share ever."

Tom Doll, executive vice president for Subaru of America said, "Our 2008 sales results are tribute not only to our product offerings, but also to the commitment, perseverance and dedication of our retail sales network. Our strategy was to concentrate on building our brand image and also to leverage the value, performance and utility of our products rather than focus on "selling the deal", and that strategy has allowed us to significantly outperform the market."

http://media.subaru.com/index.php?s=43&item=37

Click link for sales results. Forester was the only one up in December compared to 2007.

I just read this somewhere else too...

CHERRY HILL, N.J. - Subaru said Monday its U.S. sales crept higher in 2008, making the Japanese manufacturer poised to be the only major automaker to post a yearly sales increase.

Subaru was the first automaker to report sales on Monday. Its December sales fell 7.7 percent to 17,287 units from 18,739 in December 2007, as a big increase in Forester sales failed to overcome declines in its remaining models.

But Subaru sales for all of 2008 rose by 0.3 percent to 187,699 vehicles from 187,208 in 2007, as consumers snapped up its top-selling Forester and Impreza models. The company is set to be the only major automaker to report higher sales for 2008, as the troubled economy pummeled new car sales across the industry.

Subaru said Forester sales surged 36.4 percent in 2008. The company's updated 2008 model-year Forester was named sport/utility of the year in December by Motor Trend magazine. The automaker also said sales of its Legacy and Impreza models climbed in 2008, offsetting double-digit sales declines of Outback wagons and Tribeca SUVs.

"In a difficult market, we were able to establish new sales records for Forester, Impreza and Legacy sedan and also record our highest market share ever," said Tim Colbeck, vice president of sales for Subaru of America, said in a statement.

The broader industry is set to post steep 2008 sales declines on Monday. For the first 11 months of 2008, every major automaker reported lower sales with the Detroit Three posting the biggest drops.

A handful of smaller automakers — including Mini and luxury names like Rolls Royce and Maserati — posted higher sales as of November, though their volumes are significantly smaller.

http://www.startribune.com/business/37092344.html

Archived