LegacyGT.com

Help me pick my company car!!!

My employer offers managers who have been with the company for 4 yrs the wonderful opportunity to drive a company car. My 4 yr anniversary is coming up so I need to make a final decision so that I can place the order.

Only one problem: I just can't make up my mind on which car to choose.

I figure throwing my ideas out to the wise car guru's on lgt.com will help me finalize a decision. Please keep in mind: gas mileage, insurance, vehicle cost and maintenance are of no concern because the company pays for all of the above (I even get a free rental if my car is in the shop for an extended time).

Do, do, dooooo.... The list (all MY2005):

~Dodge Caravan SXT, 3.8L V6, AT and teh ghey... built right in

~F150 Supercab XLT 4X4, 4.6L V8, AT and P255/70R17's

~Ford Escape 4WD XLS, 2.3L I4, AT and gutless through and through

~Mercury Sable, 3.0L V6, AT and, um, no...

~Mini Cooper S, Supercharged 1.6L I4, 6 speed MT, and built in go karting

~Volvo S40, 2.4L I5 (no turbo, ggrrrr), AT, and it's one of the more beautiful cars on the road in my opinion

~There are others that I won't list here because I have to pay for upgrades from category to category, and these are the cars in the category that's almost free (less than $50 a paycheck).

So, I think I've narrowed it down to the F150, the S40 and the Cooper for these reasons:

F150: Great addition to our household as we don't currently own a truck. NO thrill or excitement driving. Able to go to the few places I won't take the OBXT to. The most sensible decision I could go with.

S40: Awesome looking car with decent performance. I'll pimp it out with a heavy option pack including leather, premium sound and a sport package. It's an AT car, my wife and I both prefer MT in a car. My kid will be safe in it. It's not a truck (good and bad).

Cooper: The only MT available to me and it's a 6 speed. Passion, I've wanted one of these since day one. Great performance (ok, so the 0-60 isn't great, but test drive one... best handling car EVAR). It's kind of a chick car unless you're an enthusiast that understands it. Econo-box styling that, although I love, many hate. My 3 yr old son will be banned from riding in it as I feel the back seat isn't safe because it's about 4 inches from the rear of the car.

So, what do you guys think...? I'm stuck.

if you're company is paying the gas bill, i'd get the F150. It's just nice to have that utility if you need it.

otherwise get the volvo, might be a nice change from the outback once in a while. The mini is a chick car, and while it handles decently for a FWD car, it really isnt that much fun to drive and is just too small to have any kind of practicallity.

Test driving the Mini Cooper S was the most fun I have ever had test driving a car. I would get the Mini and autcross it. Try to imagine your in The Italian Job zigging through traffic as you left work everyday.:D

It is always nice to have a truck around, but for day to day driving I'd pass. Parking them is horrible in the tiny parking spaces where I work. Plus, All of my friends who own trucks would jump at the chance to lend it to me if I had a Mini they could take while I used their truck.

Mercury Sable! That thing is HAWT!!!!

j/k I'd get the mini. Do you have to pay for gas or do you get reimbursed? If you have to pay for gas, the F150 would suck for a daily driver...

Mercury Sable! That thing is HAWT!!!!

I didnt even think the Sable was still being made. Didnt that get killed off a year ago.. or at least this year with the death of the taurus?

edit.. i guess not... still listed as an '05 model on the mercury website.. i'm sure it wont be long until it is gone though. Doesn't change the fact that you shouldnt choose it ;)

While I think the Mini would be cool, it sounds like you're worried about your young son's safety in the back seat. In this case, I would pick one of the safer vehicles since my family's safety would be my top priority.

While I think the Mini would be cool, it sounds like you're worried about your young son's safety in the back seat. In this case, I would pick one of the safer vehicles since my family's safety would be my top priority.

My son's safety is my top priority... that's why he'll always ride in the safety of our OB XT. The Mini would just mean that he wouldn't be able to ride in that vehicle. That's not a huge problem as I'm sure my wife will like driving the Mini when I have the kiddo.

Minis are way kool, if your driving the car back and fourth alone mostly I think the mini would be the best choice because of the fun factor. Coming out of driving a truck I would not lean to this side. Trucks are a huge pain in the ass to drive, not fun to park and all that. They are very useful as I had discovered but you will be asked many favors. If you do find yourself moving your own stuff alot than it seems like the truck would save you a lot of trouble but if not is it really worth it? Do you find yourself moving furniture often? I guess thats the main question it comes down to. I would love to get the mini s tho, good luck with your decision.

-NS

Since it IS a company car, what is it for? Just to haul your butt back and forth to work? Do you meet or haul clients/customers anywhere? Do you take equipment/materials anywhere? Do you visit multiple offices/sites?

F-150 good if you haul lots of stuff (except a$$), but bulky to handle

S-40 I thought was a way overpriced package when we bought the Subaru

Mini they'll actually let you get a Mini...REALLY?

How'bout another Subaru? Getta Outback Sedan!

hmmmmmmmm. interesting mix. but nonetheless i'm thinking mini cooper s. go autocross! all of the other vehicles are practically free after a couple of years and if you get the cooper and decide to buy it out at what your company owes(companies i've worked for in the past have offered this option to employees) you have a good investment and/or a great little vehicle to keep or sell. if safety is an issue (i'm not sure about the crash tests on the mini, but i have a feeling theyare probably not bad) and utility is an issue, buy a cheap used minivan, taurus/sable or pickup-there are plenty of them out there.

the volvo-sharing a platform with the upcoming ford focus and current mazda 3 is a nice looking adequately performing vehicle, but i think once you get over the chick factor (don't worry about that-no one is judging) it will be hard to wipe the smile off your face.

This is not my beautiful car.

Archived